• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Vista is copied off OS X? Or the other way around? What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel iMac 20" monitor, OS X 10.4
One day, when I was searching the forums, I thought "what are everyones views on the 'Windows Vista is copied off Mac OS X' debate?". Personally, I believe that Vista is the copy because of some substantial evidence out there, but maybe it's the other way around, or even (Radical thinking in progress) NEITHER IS COPIED!!!! What are your views?

Mr Blue Sky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
This topic has been debated to the ground, and everybody can go at it till they r blue in the face.

I honestly haven't spent much time on Vista other than the occasional playing on it during my visits to Best Buy and such stores. Honestly I wasn't too impressed. On one occasion I clicked on Media Player while Internet Explorer was on and Internet Explorer Crashed for no apparent reason with no error messages or anything.

It'll be be very hard to argue that OS X is a copy off of Vista, because OS X has been around for a heck a lot longer. And I have seen too many videos and reviews showing how Vista copied too much of the features from OS X. most obvious of all is Widgets turning it into Gadgets (yeah like no one is gonna notice ;D )

And its enuff for me to see how many people switched to Mac after having to deal with Vista.

Hope I didn't come off as biased, but OS X Rocks.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's an overdone topic that pops up everywhere. Many features of Vista have been done similarly in OS X first. Some say Leopard's opaque menu bar is a copy of Vista's. A lot of what both of them have are features originally developed by third party developers and they have simply integrated them.

Without getting into many specific examples, you can say one copied the other. You can say both copy independent developers. You can say both arrived at similar ideas from market research. In the end, you can find examples of all of these, and for many products other than computers. Hardly anything is truly original when you get down to it.

In the end, what matters most is who does it best and you go for that. That's why I have a Mac now.

My 2 ents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
most obvious of all is Widgets turning it into Gadgets (yeah like no one is gonna notice )

This is the kind of thing that makes the argument go out of hand and misconceptions are spread. I'm surprised how many people don't know that Widgets, Gadgets, whatever you want to call them, were a 3rd party app before Apple integrated it into it's OS.

As I said, many examples that can go many ways. In the end as a consumer, you're going to buy what you like and works for you, so just go do it and end the debating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I absolutely agree with Fleurya, I only threw in the above example of widgets and gadgets because its the most spoken of.

But honestly what u said is right to the point. And I agree with u about developing the 3rd party apps into the OS most famous one is the Spaces feature in the upcoming Leopard, which was available as a free app, VirtuDesktops (I believe thats what it was called).

Reaction score
I don't know who copied off who... but Microsoft did have alot of their Ideas for Vista back in 1999.

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Cheers

You're not biased...just in favour of one more than the other...:D
I totally agree with you

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know who copied off who... but Microsoft did have alot of their Ideas for Vista back in 1999.

...So why didn't they use them in earlier OS's?
I'm not challenging, I'm just curious :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ugh, I wish that video would just die already. A lot of what I'm talking about is exactly what this so-caled reporter is doing. I can't believe this guy thinks himself a journalist with this knee-jerk garbage.

True, but I still think it's funny. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I was going to say because they weren't finished, but that never stopped them before, so I don't know.

The only thing I see common between Vista and Leopard is pointless eye candy - Leopard's reflective dock looks like a waste of processing power to me, as does the translucent menu bar. OSX's translucent menus are already unneeded, why add to them?

I love the way MS tries to say that Vista's blurry windows are actually useful in some way - I fail to see any advantage in seeing a blurred, unreadable view of whats under a window. Trouble is, I sense Apple going in the same direction. What's next, all that wobbly Beryl stuff?

Reaction score
I don't know why buy they did have the ideas and it was no secret.... the public knew about it at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Microsoft at all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Probably because they couldn't, mainstream computers weren't powerful enough yet, or the ideas just hadn't been developed into reality yet. For example, Microsoft has been batting around this Surfaces interface concept for a few years now.

Just like the idea of a completely seamless integration of home PC, handheld/laptop and work PC (plus any other devices you can think of) that intelligently and instantly transfer whatever you're working on or have open from whatever device you were using last to whatever device you're currently using.

For example, if I'm reading a news article at home and have to get going, I just get up and walk away. During my commute I turn on my handheld and, boom there's the article automatically pulled up. If I start writing an email on my handheld and get to work, I turn on my computer and, boom, there's the email I'm writing right there when I turn on my work PC.

It was an impressive presentation a couple years ago, but the technology has a little catching up to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
both have/are copying from each other and from 3rd party developers. they take what they like and integrate it as the "new" thing, sometimes calling it "revolutionary" and other such nonsense.

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
both have/are copying from each other and from 3rd party developers. they take what they like and integrate it as the "new" thing, sometimes calling it "revolutionary" and other such nonsense.

"revolutionary" is a piece of turd, but I like the GUI in them. Not so much Vista's performance though - It takes up over a gig of RAM!!! I don't understand how I got it to work on my laptop...:Confused: hmmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
This topic has been debated to the ground, and everybody can go at it till they r blue in the face.

I honestly haven't spent much time on Vista other than the occasional playing on it during my visits to Best Buy and such stores. Honestly I wasn't too impressed. On one occasion I clicked on Media Player while Internet Explorer was on and Internet Explorer Crashed for no apparent reason with no error messages or anything.

It'll be be very hard to argue that OS X is a copy off of Vista, because OS X has been around for a heck a lot longer. And I have seen too many videos and reviews showing how Vista copied too much of the features from OS X. most obvious of all is Widgets turning it into Gadgets (yeah like no one is gonna notice ;D )

And its enuff for me to see how many people switched to Mac after having to deal with Vista.

Cheers

Actually, there's a picture from several years back when vista was still code named Long horn showing the design and implementation of gadgets. What most people don't realize is the Vista has been in development forever, and some of these copied features that they claim aren't copied at all.

It's like two car manufactures that want to be the best, they're going to take bits, pieces, and ideas from each others deisigns and incorporate them into their own.

Reaction score
I think some people miss the point that it doesn't matter where the ideas come from. OS X is great either way.

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, there's a picture from several years back when vista was still code named Long horn showing the design and implementation of gadgets. What most people don't realize is the Vista has been in development forever, and some of these copied features that they claim aren't copied at all.

Have you got this picture, or a link to it? It'll be interesting to see.

It's like two car manufactures that want to be the best, they're going to take bits, pieces, and ideas from each others deisigns and incorporate them into their own.
...nice

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think some people miss the point that it doesn't matter where the ideas come from. OS X is great either way.

I totally agree, dude... :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.