• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

House hunting, what to do......

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
OK advice is welcome here.

I have decided to move from my company apartment close to Tokyo into an apartment closer to Tokyo. I currently pay 74,000¥ a month for pretty much one tiny room that is just too small. I have seen loads of apartments and the quality has well varied, shall we say. Anyway, I have two real options. The month rents of the apartments I am looking it are pretty much the same price as my current apartment but bigger, new and nicer. But I can go old and pay about 200,000¥ for deposits and etc. But the buildings are a little old and a little dirty in reasonable walking distance of the station. Or go new that will cost about double, 336,000¥ to move in with rent that is about 10,000¥ more than now. I got a wage increase of that much this week, so I would only be out of pocket about 1,000 yen, which is nothing. And I would be in a brand new apartment with a view of mount fuji and 3 rooms the same size as mine now so three times the space for 10,000 yen more. I have the money for the intial payment, I have about 900.000 in the bank and I will have 1,000,000 by the time I move. The realistic cost of moving is 500,000 with furniture and moving etc (I need a new bed and sofa maybe).

So basically new or old?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core2 Duo
Well. It really varies on your personal preference. If you feel comfortable in your single room apartment then go with another single room. But if you feel you need more space go with the bigger apartment. Personally, I enjoy my space instead of living in one cramped room. So if its only a little more then go for the bigger one.

OP
B&O

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the old are bigger too, ie one bedroom, livingroom and kitchen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I'd also go for the bigger. I like to sleep in a separate room from everything else, considering all of the electronics I have, it gets noisy/hot sometimes.

Reaction score
Let us know how this turns out.

There is a small chance I'll be relocating to Japan in a couple of years. My wife and I will probably end up living at my Inlaws in Hadano, but I want to keep Tokyo has an option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
You guys are so lucky tobe able to LIVE in Japan.. I can't even afford to visit there! :(

OP
B&O

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its not as expensive as you think I live here and work here, its simple to do if you have half a brain and a degree.

I am considering the older options only as the key money (Not a deposit but a present to the owner is less) which means with the saving I could get an iMac if I wanted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core2 Duo
Its not as expensive as you think I live here and work here, its simple to do if you have half a brain and a degree.

I am considering the older options only as the key money (Not a deposit but a present to the owner is less) which means with the saving I could get an iMac if I wanted.

Thinking like a true tech geek. Wonderfully done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.