• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing Movies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Macbook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB Memory, 120GB Hard drive, Double layer Super Drive
I just bought a new 13" Mac book and an external harddrive. I like to watch movies on my computer but i hate bringing all the discs with me. i was wondering if there was a way to "import" if you will, the movie into my comp/harddrive so that i could watch it whenever i wanted without bringing the discs with me. When you answer please keep in mind that i am somewhat computer illiterate and i am a new mac user as my friend only recently convinced me to switch from a PC to a mac.
P.S. my computer has that double layer superdrive thingy if that matters at all.
Thanks
Derek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You have two options and which one is right for you will depend on what you think is more important.

The question is, what is more important for you, file size or picture quality?

If file size is more important, rip them with HandBrake at 640x480, 2500K MP4/H.264 or smaller and you will get good quality video at a reasonable file size (under 2Gb per movie on average). You will lose all of the DVD extras though. The movie can played in Quicktime or iTunes (or VLC and so on), but NOT DVD player and will not be DVD quality, although it may be close.

If Quality is more important, you can rip them with MacTheRipper (MTR). This essentially copies the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive and gives you a full copy of the movie on the drive. The movie can be watched with the DVD Player (only) and all of the extras are there etc. The size of the Video_TS folder will depend on the size of the (GB) of the original DVD, but will be identical. An 8Gb DVD will take up 8Gb of HDD space, but will be DVD quality. MTR does have an option to only rip the main feature, so you can reduce file size that way, a bit at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.4Ghz, 17", 250Go, 4Go Ram
handbrake is the most amazing software I've ever used. It's fast and the ripped movie is really accurate (depending on the settings). If u have a big hard-drive, you can keep hundreds of movies on it...
And the quality is best when u choose 1000bytes ; on the whole, most movies take an everage 800-900 Mo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.