How can you play Windows Media Player files on a Mac?

Reaction score
My Dad with his new imac wants to view some files on the Borders books website that say they require Win Media Player (WMP). He tried downloading WMP for Mac but it wouldn't install. Probably user error and I'll check it out this Thursday but here is another question.

Is there a player that isn't WMP that I can install on his iMac that can play WMP files??

Thanks!

Reaction score
The Flip4Mac plug-in plays Windows Media files through QuickTime. It's available at verstiontracker.com and macupdate.com, as well as on Microsoft's site.

Microsoft no longer supports Media Player on the Mac, and hasn't for a long time.

If a Windows Media Player file won't play through Flip4Mac, it's probably because the file is copyright protected with Microsoft's Windows-only DRM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
VLC might work. try searching it on google. i plays pretty much every file type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Here is another vote for Flip4Mac :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
you should download vlc player anyway because quicktime can only play a few formats, vlc can play virtually any format, even windows media files.

Reaction score
Download VLC... probably the best all round support for many different video formats on MAC. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
You still need Flip4Mac. As far as I am aware, VLC can't play streaming media inside the browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
VLC!!! that is all you need.

Reaction score
VLC isn't without it's issues though. When I try to seek within a WMV video I often get a (non-fatal) error message that I have to click through. The playing video also gets VERY distorted/corrupted for 3-4 seconds before it straightens out (my guess is until it hits a new key-frame).

Still, it's much, much better than MS Media Player on the Mac. That thing runs so slow you'd think Microsoft intentionally crippled it . . .

Reaction score
My Dad with his new imac wants to view some files on the Borders books website that say they require Win Media Player (WMP). He tried downloading WMP for Mac but it wouldn't install. Probably user error and I'll check it out this Thursday but here is another question.

Is there a player that isn't WMP that I can install on his iMac that can play WMP files??

Thanks!

I'd recommend downloading VLC media player for mac.... its the best there is in my opinion.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Everyone seems to be jumping on VLC here, but to my knowledge, VLC is not going to solve the original problem, because it cannot play anything in a browser window, as slashjunior said.

The program you're looking for is Flip4Mac to allow Quicktime (including its associated browser plugin) to play WMV files. Download Perian too, while you're at it, just for good measure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
use vlc or microsoft media player for mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.