• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Streaming videos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
I've just got a mini DVI to S-Video converter and I'm wanting to use FrontRow to stream videos from my PC to my MacBook connected to my TV. Am I right in thinking I can only do this if iTunes is sharing the videos? How do I make iTunes accept DivX's and other file formats? Or is there another program I can use with my remote which will do a similar job?

I was really excited to get home and play with my new toy last night, and was really disappointed to find out I couldn't do what I wanted with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Set your PC to Share the hard drive, including all files and folders below it that lead to your videos.

connect to that drive through your Macbook, should mount on your desktop.

Get Perian codec pack, and install it...this will allow for playback of divx and other formats in Frontrow or quicktime. also you might want VLC media player for OS X (free) and MPlayer for OS X (free).

Once connected to your pc's shared drive. Just open it, and drag the file you want to watch to Quicktime, VLC, or MPlayer...I think full screen command on all of them is Apple+F.

For frontrow viewing, right click, or CTRL+click the shared drive on your Mac Desktop, choose make Alias. Now move that Shortcut into your Movies folder under your Home Directory.

Now activate Frontrow, go down to Movies, and select that Drive, then you should be able to scroll through the media on it and watch it in front row.

Be patient, as over the network it takes time for front row to get the preview going for each video.

best,

Brian

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
Wicked awesome dude, that worked perfectly. As you said, it's not lightening at getting previews and opening folders with lots of videos in it, but what can you expect at 54Mbps half duplex?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.