Getting 5.1 to work..

R

rebz

The recent thread didn't help me so I got an account and here I am.

I just recently converted to a powerbook after having windows for over ten years. To say the least I'm very content. In the process of getting rid of my Windows computer, I'm trying to replace as few periphials as possible.

I currently own Creative Soundlabs 5.1 speakers. I'm content with them, but how do I get them to work on my powerbook? The 5.1 Plug that went into my Audigy 2 doesn't work in the headphone jack for the powerbook.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Using headphones to replace the native speakers is an idea, as to the Creative Soundlabs 5.1 speakers, I bet they need a seperate power supply

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

I was contemplating how to go about this as well when I first received my PowerBook. It would appear to me that the best solution is the Sonica Theatre by M-Audio. It is an external USB audio device, with a SPDIF out, as well as Front, Rear, And Center/Sub output channels.

Since I am leaving for college soon, I have decided not to purchase it. Not yet at least, after all, 5.1's in a dorm?! All I am doing right now is running my audio out from my powerbook into my line-in on my Audigy 2. It works decently well for now.

OP
R

rebz

okay, so basically I'm going to need a usb external soundcard device that supports 5.1, thank you.

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

yes, basically. yamaha also makes one. you might want to check out their site as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.