• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

LED Displays coming to MacBooks ??

Reaction score
I Heard that LED Display were coming to the MacBooks.. and i was wondering what your thoughts on this were?:|

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I Heard that LED Display were coming to the MacBooks.. and i was wondering what your thoughts on this were?:|

I would imagine this is true, although it might be a little while before the product is refreshed again considering that it was just refreshed a couple of months ago. Only Apple knows for sure, the rest is just rumors and speculation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I would imagine this is true, although it might be a little while before the product is refreshed again considering that it was just refreshed a couple of months ago. Only Apple knows for sure, the rest is just rumors and speculation.

That's basically it. Jobs said their goal was to have all of their displays converted to LED backlighting within a year or two, but the MacBooks just got refreshed so I don't think it will be anytime soon. Apple would have a lot of angry customers if they released LED backlighting after just releasing an update a month ago!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup....whats the differece b/w the one they have now and LED

Most notebooks use a CCFL tube (think of it like a really, really tiny flourescent light bulb). They use significantly more power than an LED backlight, which are just starting to hit the market in modern laptops. I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) they also have a longer lifespan - not that most people will ever see a CCFL backlight go bad though (they're usually rated for 10,000+ hours).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Aren't LED displays more environmentally friendly too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15' 2.33Ghz C2D MBP, 3GB RAM, 200GB HDD
Yes, they are more friendly to the environment. Don't expect Macbook's to have LED backlights until Apple can accommodate it's professional notebooks first. 17inch MBP's are still awaiting the LED update.

OP
yukon0013
Reaction score
So do you think that the macbooks would get the update before or after leopard?

I

idave

What makes everyone think Apple will update the macbook just becuase of Leopard. Its way to soon to update the macbook, LED is not a good enough reason. LED would have to come packaged along with other internal upgrades. I would just expect them to start packaging Leopard with new machines.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What makes everyone think Apple will update the macbook just becuase of Leopard. Its way to soon to update the macbook, LED is not a good enough reason. LED would have to come packaged along with other internal upgrades. I would just expect them to start packaging Leopard with new machines.

It's all conjecture, no one knows but Apple. You might be absolutely correct.

Reaction score
I don't see the benefit of having an LED screen...It wouldn't make me mad about them updating it. I really wouldn't care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
guys they already did put LED screens in the MacBooks...they just didn't tell us...it's all part of their masterplan for world domination...you'll find out soon...

Reaction score
guys they already did put LED screens in the MacBooks...they just didn't tell us...it's all part of their masterplan for world domination...you'll find out soon...

See, an Apple representative could have come up to me and said that and I would have been like "So? It's just a different type of light bulb!"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see the benefit of having an LED screen...It wouldn't make me mad about them updating it. I really wouldn't care.

The major benefit is in energy savings. The LED backlight expends about 1/4 the energy of a traditional CCFL tube. Also, the life of an LED is far longer than a CCFL tube. LED lifespans are measured in hundreds of thousands of hours, where CCFL is usually a max of about 20,000 hours.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't the LED screens look better, too? (brighter, sharper, etc.)

I haven't seen one yet, but to be honest, it shouldn't be a big difference. They just changed the backlight, not the screen itself. Hopefully the lighting will be a little more even. I find my MBP's screen to be a little less evenly lit than others I've owned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.