Going to Sleep???

sph

Reaction score
For some reason my iMac no longer goes to sleep after 20 minutes of being idle like it used to. I havent installed any new applications recently and it just stopped going to sleep. I come back an hour or two after using it and the monitor is still on. I've been having to manually make it go to sleep.

I checked the energy saver options in system preferences and it correctly shows that my monitor display should be going to sleep after 20 minutes.

Help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
If something is downloading then I don't think your mac will go to sleep...maybe thats why...

OP
S

sph

Reaction score
unfortunately thats not the case. I have all applicatons closed and nothing is downloading. Still wont go to sleep.

Reaction score
it is unfourtunately an insomniac, what you need to do is crush up a fiew zambian into the keyboard... that will put it to sleep... permanently

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Try going into

System Preferences>Energy Saver>Sleep

and ajusting the time.

OP
S

sph

Reaction score
still doesnt work. I adjusted the time but ti still only sleeps when I force it manually

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
This is an iMac, it doesn't need battery calibration. What you need to do is reset the PMU or SMC, whatever they're calling it now (Power Management Unit, System Management Controller, respectively). To do this, do the following:

1. Shut down the computer
2. Unplug the power adapter and ALL OTHER CABLES (USB, firewire, everything).
3. Hold down the Power button for AT LEAST 10 seconds. To reset my friend's, I hold it down usually for 20-30 seconds.
4. Plug everything back in, save the power cable for last.
5. Power on the computer.

This process resets the PMU or SMC, which is the logic board chip that controls how your Mac sleeps/wakes, among many other things. Good luck!

Reaction score
This is an iMac, it doesn't need battery calibration. What you need to do is reset the PMU or SMC, whatever they're calling it now (Power Management Unit, System Management Controller, respectively). To do this, do the following:

1. Shut down the computer
2. Unplug the power adapter and ALL OTHER CABLES (USB, firewire, everything).
3. Hold down the Power button for AT LEAST 10 seconds. To reset my friend's, I hold it down usually for 20-30 seconds.
4. Plug everything back in, save the power cable for last.
5. Power on the computer.

This process resets the PMU or SMC, which is the logic board chip that controls how your Mac sleeps/wakes, among many other things. Good luck!

DUN DUN DUN.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.