Upgrading a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I still have not got a mac (waiting paitently for new ones to be released) - so I apologise for posting loads of questions, i just want to make sure I have everything covered.

One thing I have been wondering is upgrades. How easy is it to upgrade an imac / powerbook? With the imac is it as simple as slotting in say - a stick of ram like a PC, or is it more complicated?
Also, how many slots do the imac and powerbook have for things like this (and other devices)?

I know this will more than likely change once the new ones come out, but i'm still curious.

One other thing - what output / input connectors to the imac and powerbook have (firewire, usb etc...) i'm havinhg trouble finding this on the mac site? Just wanted to know because I plan on doing video editing and music on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
PowerBook hasn't been around for a year. They're called MacBook Pro now, because they have Intel chips.

I think you can upgrade RAM, hard drive and optical drive, but the only thing Apple officially endorse and tell you how to do, is upgrading RAM, which a simple case of taking off a grille and slotting in the sticks.

My 20" iMac, the latest version, has 2 Firewire 400 ports (The regular kind), 3 USB ports, an ethernet, line in, headphone and Mini-DVI. The 24" has all that as well as a Firewire 800 port.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
ah, sorry. meant macbook pro. thanks for your help on this, i can't wait until i get one now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
The MacBook Pro comes with these connections: Two USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 400 port, one FireWire 800 port, one ExpressCard/34 slot, gigabit ethernet, DVI video out, audio out/in

If you're planning on getting the 17" model then you also get an additional USB port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.