• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Scroodle!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey guys & girls!

For the past three years I have been studying BA(Hons) Interactive Multimedia at the Hull School of Art & Design, Hull, UK.

I am at the point now where I am almost ready for finishing (well, I would have finished if it wasn't for an unfortunate accident I had involving a sewing needle and my foot! To cut a long story short I will post the X-Ray, they say a picture paints a thousand words so see what you make of my foot X-Ray ;))

NeedleInMyFoot.jpg

The needle has been removed and the wound has almost completely healed now (after about 4/5 weeks including the best part of a week in hospital).

Anyway, For my final year major project I decided to embark on the fascinating world of online multi-user applications. In particular, I decided that I wanted to try my hand at designing for children as I had never really done this before and though it would be an interesting challenge.

So, with the idea in hand and a bit of creative energy I have created Scroodle. The name is what happens when you combine Scribble and Doodle. (I thought it was fun lol). Scroodle has taken the best part of 6 months to create (including documentation and in between other projects and assignments) and is now at a point where it is almost ready for completion.

So I am kindly asking for you to have a wonder over to Scroodle and have a play around and just post back your comments, opinions, criticisms etc to aid in my evaluation of the project. Those of you who know children aged between 5 and 7, I would really appreciate if you could let them have a play around Scroodle and post their feedback.

One thing that will not work yet as i am awaiting the server to become available for it to work is the 'Shared Drawing Board' feature of Scroodle. You will still be able to draw but there will be no one drawing with you. I hope to have this up and running online by tonight.

Aside from that all should be ok!

So please have a look, a play and tell me what you think!

Many thanks in advance!

Chris :Sleeping:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
holy cow! sorry to hear about your foot. that really looks painful.

well, the site is nicely laid out, clear and makes sense.

are you going to add stamps or patterns or anything like that, or is it basically just different widths of drawing (with color selection) and erasing?

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
I was considering adding shapes and stamps to give a little extra something to the drawing. However, with current time constraints for the projects hand in I may have to write that in as a future development idea.

Thanks for having a look! ;D

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Update

Ok guys, I have got the Shared Drawing Board working so if you log on while someone else is on you can draw a nice picture together :)

Also, those of you who have registered already may have to register again due to a cock-up I made in the database ( I do apologise, I was tidying it up and made a right mess of it but its all fixed now :)).

Enjoy!

Chris ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core2 Duo
When I went I was thinking it was a bit childish...then I realized it was for children. But, nicely laid out. Easy to use. And its colorful.

Also, you should easter egg the x-ray of your foot in there. Give the kids a little "***" moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Hey! Very cool stuff man! Keep us posted on this...because if the site stays up, I KNOW my girlfriend's classroom of 2nd graders this fall would love this!

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Thanks MikeYMS!

The site should be staying up for a good while and I intend to continue working on it after University in order to fully complete all of the features and sections.

Thanks again,

Chris ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.