modem disconnects after 4 hours?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 G$ powerbook
powerbook - running OSX.4.9.
I am still using dialup, so those software updates are long and painfull, however my modem repeatedly disconnects every time I have been on the internet for 4 hours.
I was wondering if anyone had information on this behaviour?
I have deselected the time option in -system prefs -> network -> PPP - >session options-, but to no avail.
cheers
Mazgurg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Maybe it's not your computer. Ever think it might be your ISP disconnecting from their end?
They do that sort of thing you know...idle connection time, maybe even in the Terms of Service, could be any number of factors.
Give them a call and see what their dis/connection policy is.

Reaction score
It is very common for dial up providers to drop a connection after a specified period of time or inactivity.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 G$ powerbook
powerbook - running OSX.4.9.
I am still using dialup, so those software updates are long and painfull, however my modem repeatedly disconnects every time I have been on the internet for 4 hours.
I was wondering if anyone had information on this behaviour?
I have deselected the time option in -system prefs -> network -> PPP - >session options-, but to no avail.
cheers
Mazgurg

Thanks for your replies. I would suspect the ISP as the problem but I was downloading software updates on a friends G3 iBook on my home ISP.. I did it overnight and was connected for at least 10 hours. Previously I have managed long downloads on my machine with the same ISP with no problem.
Mazgurg

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 G$ powerbook
Thanks for your replies. I would suspect the ISP as the problem but I was downloading software updates on a friends G3 iBook on my home ISP.. I did it overnight and was connected for at least 10 hours. Previously I have managed long downloads on my machine with the same ISP with no problem.
Mazgurg
mazgurg is online now Add to mazgurg's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.