Wireless connection - WEP router. What do I do?

Reaction score
OK, got my MacBook today, can't connect to my wireless router (D-Link DSL 604+). Apparently the MacBook doesn't support WEP encription? So now what? Do I have to get a new router? Anybody help me here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hmmm, it should support WEP. I use to have my network running on WEP before I switched to WPA2.

I think you can change it in the Network System Prefs pane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
OK, got my MacBook today, can't connect to my wireless router (D-Link DSL 604+). Apparently the MacBook doesn't support WEP encription? So now what? Do I have to get a new router? Anybody help me here?

When I first got my Macbook and tried to get on my wireless network with a Linksys router, I found I had to put a '$' (dollar sign, no quotes) in front of the WEP key. Something about converting it to hex, I don't recall. Try that.

New router that came with my FIOS uses WEP and doesn't need that, dunno why.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Your Macbook and OSX support WEP, WPA, WPA2. Do you know what WEP your router is set for? Is it ACSII, HEX and if HEX 128-Bit?

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, all fixed, new Linksys wireless router. Telus (ISP) supplied wireless modem/router is an antiquated piece of junk. Seems to be working wonderfully. I'm converted, and I've only been playing with the Mac for about 4 hours!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.