File sharing security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
I would like to be able to share the files on my Mac with my PC, I have it set up to do so, but how do I set the Mac to only allow certain computers to have access to the files, or set a password to be able to access them?

Also I noticed my PC can read and write to the HDD in my Mac, is this normal? I though it could read but not write.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You should have to put in your username and password on the PC to access the files.

Computers can read and write to the files over the network but not not if directly connected

OP
TheInvsbleMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
thats interesting... I don't have to put in any password to access my Mac files from my PC.

wow thats really cool to know that I can read and write over the network... I didn't know that. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
If your user account in Mac OS X is password protected then it will ask the Windows machine for a password when it tries to access the Macs home directory. However, if the Windows PC that you are accessing the Mac from is identical to that of your Mac password then it will not bother asking, so make sure your Windows and Mac passwords are different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.