• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing to iMovie from Sony Handycam

Reaction score
I am currently using a Mac tower G4 system 10.4.9. I recently got a Sony Handycam DCR-HC36. I would like to import from the camera onto my computer to be able to burn DVD's. The computer is having trouble recognizing and importing the movies. Based on the system preferences, the computer knows that the Sony Handycam is attached with the iLink cable. iMovie is not able to view or import this movie. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on fixing this problem.

Reaction score
Hi, Ziggy. Is your Sony handycam they type of camcorder that records to its own hard drive?

OP
Z
Reaction score
The Sony Handycam DCR-HC36 is a miniDV camcorder. So it records onto small tapes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I did this yesterday for the first time too. It wouldn't see it when I used a usb cable but hen I went to firewire and set the cam to vcr and hit import....there it was. Imported no prob from my Sony digital8 handycam.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I tried it many times with the iLink Firewire cable. iMovie does not realize the camera is attached to import the movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
mate, im sorry to tell you that Sony camcorders are NOT compatible with OS X. trust me, i've been there. i Had the Sony HD-URX7 or something, and a Sony mini handycam. they just dont work. and if they do, the files are unstable and can corrupt easily. youre best bet is to get a new camcorder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm, I have tried two older Sony camcorders and they've both worked fine. But neither of them had USB connections, so maybe it's only later models that have those that have issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Tiger OS
Two days ago I purchased a MacBook Pro and it came with iMovie 08. I was able to connect my DCR-HC36 twice via FireWire 800 to my mac. It downloaded video for about 7 mins each time before the connection between the camcorder and mac would no longer be recognized. As this was a problem I had had with my old dell desktop and same camcorder, I thought it was the camcorder.

I called Sony and they were of no help. They don't have any drivers or updates for DCR-HC36 camcorder and the mac/iMovie 08. They suggested that my FireWire 800 cable may be the issue.

I just spent 2 hours with a Genius at the Apple Store. Turns out that my FireWire 800 cable did seem to be causing problems. Using a FireWire 400, the camcorder and mac were continuously able to recognize each other. However, we discovered that with the FireWire 400 cable iMovie 08 crashed while importing the video and had to "unexpectedly close".

I had to leave, but they said to look through forums and discussion boards for any patches or fixes. I'm curious to know if anyone had this happen with older versions of iMovie as the Sony support mentioned they didn't have any support iMovie 08 - but didn't mention anything about previous versions.

Obviously, I'd like to not have to buy a new camcorder as I just purchased this one. So, helpful and detailed replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two days ago I purchased a MacBook Pro and it came with iMovie 08. I was able to connect my DCR-HC36 twice via FireWire 800 to my mac. It downloaded video for about 7 mins each time before the connection between the camcorder and mac would no longer be recognized. As this was a problem I had had with my old dell desktop and same camcorder, I thought it was the camcorder.

I called Sony and they were of no help. They don't have any drivers or updates for DCR-HC36 camcorder and the mac/iMovie 08. They suggested that my FireWire 800 cable may be the issue.

I just spent 2 hours with a Genius at the Apple Store. Turns out that my FireWire 800 cable did seem to be causing problems. Using a FireWire 400, the camcorder and mac were continuously able to recognize each other. However, we discovered that with the FireWire 400 cable iMovie 08 crashed while importing the video and had to "unexpectedly close".

I had to leave, but they said to look through forums and discussion boards for any patches or fixes. I'm curious to know if anyone had this happen with older versions of iMovie as the Sony support mentioned they didn't have any support iMovie 08 - but didn't mention anything about previous versions.

Obviously, I'd like to not have to buy a new camcorder as I just purchased this one. So, helpful and detailed replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Can you import with iMovie 06 and the Firewire 400 cable?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
mate, im sorry to tell you that Sony camcorders are NOT compatible with OS X. trust me, i've been there. i Had the Sony HD-URX7 or something, and a Sony mini handycam. they just dont work. and if they do, the files are unstable and can corrupt easily. youre best bet is to get a new camcorder

Wrong - My Sony camcorder imports via firewire 400 to my MacBook not a problem at all!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
A quick look at the manual shows that there are different ways to set the camera up for a computer. Well kind of. They talk about their own software. Anyway the point is to look into that feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
mate, im sorry to tell you that Sony camcorders are NOT compatible with OS X.
BS. I've had a couple hooked up to Macs.

Recently I helped a friend prove there was nothing wrong with his Sony HD camera by hooking it up to my Mac laptop. Being HD it had a couple of settings and depending on if we wanted DV 4:3 or HD transmitted, we had to set the camera up correctly. It worked perfectly once we understood how to set the camera up properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Tiger OS
I do not have a version of iMovie 06 available. My computer is two days old and came with 08 already loaded. Perhaps I could go back to the Apple store to see if they could try it there.

I will also look at the manual again, maybe I missed some different setting the first time.

I also received a reply from Sony this morning - they said that Sony camcorders are supported via firewire but not USB on Macs. I think someone else might have posted this as well, but here's the link to the article they sent me: http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/autoresponse.asp?id=213310

I'll post my results - thanks for all the suggestions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Tiger OS
Thanks! I'll check it out... This won't replace iMovie 08, just offer an alternate program, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
My sony minidv cam works perfectly with imovie 06 and 08.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Tiger OS
RESULTS: Thanks to Aptmunich!

iMovie HD 6.0.4 for iLife '08 and a firewire 400 cable successfully allow video import from a Sony DCR-HC36 MiniDV camcorder.

Just an FYI to any other mac newbies - files imported via iMovie HD won't open in iMovie '08. My personal opinion is that '08 is more intuitive and user friendly than HD for video editing.

Thanks again to everyone that weighed in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an FYI to any other mac newbies - files imported via iMovie HD won't open in iMovie '08.
Can you not use the "File-->Import iMovie HD Project..." option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Tiger OS
Hee Hee - I'm still learning all the fabulousness that is mac... I will try that. Thanks heaps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.