Virtual PC question

Q

Quintheeskimo66

I'm pretty new to the Mac scene. I have a pair of G3 powerbooks. one 500mhz and the other 266. The 266 is running 9.2.2 and the 500 is running 10.3
I have 1 windoze program that I would like to run on my powerbook(s). It is some mapping software for my GPS.
I've heard about Virtual PC, and I have some questions I am hoping to find some answers too. I did some searching of the forums, and everyone here seems to know more about it than I do. :)
Does this replace your Mac OS? Does it run all the time? Or is it an application that you can start and stop to allow you to simulate the Windoze environment for running a program?

Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Virtual PC is an application which emulates the PC environment. In this environment you can run windows applications.

OP
Q

Quintheeskimo66

That's great. I wouldn't want to ruin my Mac by destroying my OS just to run 1 program.

What would be the version of Virtual PC that i would need for my 500mhz running 10.3.3? And is there a preferred version of Windoze? I already have copies of 95, 98, Me, 2000, and XP. (yes I was a Windows junkie :( )

thanks for your help!!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You would get the version of window that you want with the emulator application. Virtual PC can run all of the flavors of window you mentioned. Just remember, because you are using an emulator it will run slower.

From what I have heard, don't use XP. It is dog slow.

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

I have heard that 2000 is the fastest and most stable to use. That is what I am currently running, and from what I have seen so far it works pretty well.

Reaction score
Isn't there an issue with Virtual PC running on 10.3? Last I heard, the Great Satan was yet to release a version that works on it, and was forecasting great things to come when VPC would be included in Office.

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

Actually, I believe the issue is with the G5 processor, not 10.3 itself. I am running it on 10.3 with no problems.

OP
M

Mouse26

I can confirm that Virtual PC 6.1 with XP is unusably slow. I bought it with my 12" 1.33 Ghz Powerbook with 1GB of memory, and fought tooth and nail to get a refund after being appalled that even the simplest, simplest tasks (like opening a folder in explorer) could take minutes to perform.

Honestly guys and girls, go for an older windows version, trust me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.