• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Editing question on a Mac - output to tv / monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Hi everyone,

I have been a PC user nearly all my life - I am looking at upgrading to a mac for editing (i tried final cut pro and was so impressed). One question, when I edit on final cut what output's are there on the mac so I can see the image on a TV / monitor (i.e. -svideo, hdmi, composite)?

Or would I need a seperate device?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It depends on what Mac you get. Look at the Apple website to see what kind of video output each model has.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't find anything on the mac site. I am looking at either a powerbook or imac.

Can any other video editors help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you would need either a firewire output device like a dv deck or a AJA HD IO or you would need a capture card (only available on mac pro and powermac) nothing can be purchased from apple.

If you are going to be getting a powerbook or a imac you probably are not going to be doing anything professional so I am thinking just a dv deck will suit you fine.

Reaction score
If you go with an iMac or Macbook Pro, and the dv deck is out of your price range, you can just use a standard camcorder as your deck. Just use the cables that came with your camcorder, plug them into your TV. Then launch final cut, and then do the normal steps to detect and connect to a dv deck...

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you would need either a firewire output device like a dv deck or a AJA HD IO or you would need a capture card (only available on mac pro and powermac) nothing can be purchased from apple.

If you are going to be getting a powerbook or a imac you probably are not going to be doing anything professional so I am thinking just a dv deck will suit you fine.

No, i'm actually doing music videos. I am setting up a company and have been working freelance so far editing on a PC with premiere pro, which until now has suited me fine. - so yeah, it's pro work.

The problem is, at this stage I need a mac, but cannot afford a powermac, they cost a fortune in the UK. I was lead to beleive that a mac will edit whatever (even HD) without the need for an extra capture card.

Reaction score
Yeah, you can do this.
I think the other people were mixing up capturing and displaying...or something.

All you need is a imac, macbook pro, macpro, powermac, or any other mac with dual display support.
For SD:
All you need is a cable from Apple that converts to video out (s-video/composite). For example, for a macpro or macbook pro you need a DVI to video adapter. Then just plus your monitor into the adapter and set up the monitor in FCP (check the manual). Also make sure you arn't in display mirroring mode.

For HD:
Same as before, only you don't need the adapter (unless you are using HDMI, then you need a DVI to HDMI adapter), Just plug your computer into an HD monitor. This won't work with any mac with analog out (not a problem with any current-gen mac).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.5 Ghz, 8 Gb Ram / iMac 27" 16 Gb Ram / MBP 2.16 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, iPhone 5, iPad Min
Also, like xtreeme and pb hinted,

either SD or HD you can get you carmcorder (or deck) to output your image to a TV. From the Mac via firewire to the deck and from the deck to the tv (most likely via RCA cables).

cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.