• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Swap my Macbook for XPS laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
I was thinking of swapping my Macbook C2D 1.8 1GB 60GB for a Dell XPS laptop. They look pretty sweet, but i'm not sure if i can go back to Windows. I love OSx so much.

:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, Dell IS known for their top quality products after-all...

Reaction score
Don't do it, I'm gonna go the other way soon, and I would not use Dell.
Not because of the lack of quality of product, although remember you'll be using Windows .. ... . . .. . . .. I'm just cleaning up another virus attack, even though I have Antivirus Firewall anti spy etcetcetc. But I was going to go with Dell before deciding to move, I contacted them and received dreadful Customer Service, I was treated pretty badly for someone who was going to buy a £1000 machine, I have sent lots of emails looking for a response and received nothing.
I know I'm 1 in a many million, but you wanted a response, why don't you hang on until Leopard and if that doesn't live up to expectations, you can spend more money and go to the wonderful world of, oh no I need to update my virus database, ahh I've got some spyware, why has it crashed again.
Hey other than that I love windows........

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was thinking of swapping my Macbook C2D 1.8 1GB 60GB for a Dell XPS laptop. They look pretty sweet, but i'm not sure if i can go back to Windows. I love OSx so much.

Why? What is OSX and the Mac not doing for you that makes you want to go back to Windows?

You say you love OSX. You can not run OSX on that Dell. It's against the rules.

OP
Hustle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Why? What is OSX and the Mac not doing for you that makes you want to go back to Windows?

You say you love OSX. You can not run OSX on that Dell. It's against the rules.

Graphics mainly. I like portable (small screen) laptops that have good graphics. I'm going to wait until Leopard, if i do swap.

Reaction score
Graphics mainly. I like portable (small screen) laptops that have good graphics. I'm going to wait until Leopard, if i do swap.

Actually that's a good point I am hesitating between the MB and MBP because of the fact that you can get much better Graphics on the MBP, however I've also seen posts saying that people can do the stuff they need with the graphics on the MB, I think your right in waiting for Leopard before moving.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Graphics on the MacBook are just fine for most uses except really demanding 3d games. Laptops that really have REALLY powerful video cards usually are large and heavy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The macbook screen is small (13.3" widescreen is only as tall at 11" 4:3 aspect) and high resolution (1280x800), which gives a 'real' resolution of 113 DPI. From the perspective of screen quality and screen real estate, I'd say the macbook is as good as, if not better than, most PC laptops. If it's graphics performance you're after, rather than quality, then a higher spec card will do you, but the power draw will be much higher.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

If you can deal with Windows, and games are a high priority, the XPS M1210 is a very nice ultraportable with a decent discrete video card. In fact, I would probably own one right now if I hadn't switched. Unfortunately, the cons of running Vista far outweigh my need for an ultraportable. Fortunately, the MBP is light and slim enough for my travel needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 1.83 white
Remember Dell CS is over seas, so be prepared!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP•2GB | iPod
The Graphics on the MacBook are just fine for most uses except really demanding 3d games. Laptops that really have REALLY powerful video cards usually are large and heavy.

yeah because a more powerful video card and such is going to require more power which = bigger psu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
If you want something that isn't offered in your current laptop you'll just hate using it

If you feel comfortable with a different product and it suits your needs - buy it

Solution is pretty simple, people are just shooting opinions.. Your post was so breif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram

What are the specs of the Dell XPS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
depends on which one you are looking at: the 12", 17" or 20". all have different specs.

here is the 12" XPS maxed:
-Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T7600 (2.33GHz, 4M L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB
-4GB memory
-12.1" Widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) display with TrueLife
-256MB NVIDIA® GeForceTM Go 7400
-100GB x 7200rpm or 120GB x 5400rpm
-8x DVD/CD Burner
-An integrated 1.3 megapixel web cam
-One set of premium noise isolation ear buds
-An Integrated mobile broadband antenna to be mobile broadband ready
-A directional microphone system to help reduce background noise for crisp, clear voice communications

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
depends on which one you are looking at: the 12", 17" or 20". all have different specs.

here is the 12" XPS maxed:
-Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T7600 (2.33GHz, 4M L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB
-4GB memory
-12.1" Widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) display with TrueLife
-256MB NVIDIA® GeForceTM Go 7400
-100GB x 7200rpm or 120GB x 5400rpm
-8x DVD/CD Burner
-An integrated 1.3 megapixel web cam
-One set of premium noise isolation ear buds
-An Integrated mobile broadband antenna to be mobile broadband ready
-A directional microphone system to help reduce background noise for crisp, clear voice communications

Such a nice machine, hindered by such a useless OS. If only it ran OS X...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.