ebay and Powerbook....

J

Joeytpg

Guys i've been thinking real hard and i'd really want a 15" p.b. the 12 would be ok but i really fell in love with the wide 15" and since i don't hace enough money to buy a 15" 1.33 even the Cheaper one, i've been thinking that maybe getting a old (well not SO old, the previous P.B. 15" 1.25 aluminium model) i can get it for maybe 1,700 bucks right?....

is this worth it??

and who in here thinks its save to buy from eBay?? any good/bad experiences?...share it with me please.....and some advices too!

Thanks guys! :D

OP
N

nicholas

In my opinion, it's not worth it to buy from ebay for the potential savings. I'd suggest you pay a little more for a source that is 100% guaranteed.

OP
J

Joeytpg

ok then....do you know another place where i culd buy an older P.B. model?? i want the 1.25 15" model (it's cheaper than the 1.33 and it's basically the SAME machine)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Try an Apple supplier that has refurbished Powerbooks. Good deals on those, and try to find with Panther 10.3.3 install CDs and warrantee ;)

OP
W

wickedbusa

Be very careful with ebay. I was scammed $1326 for a 17 inch Powerbook.

OP
J

Joeytpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
thats just the type of screen they all are

OP
J

Joeytpg

ohh cool...i thought it meant "Titanium"...iu don't know why! :) hehehe

can you give me the specs the previous P.B. 15" models had?... now i know they are 1.33 and 1.5 ghz (for the 15") and the privious?? because i see a 1ghz 15" model......is that the one that NOW is the CHEAPER ONE (1.33 ghz?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well they had 1ghz Titanium and 1ghz Aluminum

The Aluminum is the exact same specs as the 1.25ghz 15 in
The Titanium has slower system bus, only uses standard Airport, ATA66 instead of 100, Firewire 400 only etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yes?

wickedbusa said:
Please tell us what happened! I just knew there was a bit of too much fish in that bit! I have said so and now I'd like some backing for what I've been on about!

OP
M

Matt

That reminds me...

That reminds me... Sorry to bring it up now but whats better, TFT or LCD???????????????????? :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
wickedbusa said:

me too :mad: mine also was powerbook 17"
I hate ebay, everybody can cheat there :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Matt said:
That reminds me... Sorry to bring it up now but whats better, TFT or LCD???????????????????? :confused:

a tft display is an lcd display...

Big fat monitors are crts, and the small thin ones are lcd's. Tft describes the exact specs of the lcd. There are different kinds of lcs, but all laptop displays are tft (correct me if i'm wrong, but at least all current apple ones are right?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I bought my powerbook from a seller in the US, and he shipped it to me in the UK. It took more than a month, but he did mention it in the auction that it will take minimum 3 weeks. I trusted him coz he had feedback. The key is to look for feedback. Reliable feedback. I bought it from him coz he sold at least 1 powerbook 17" everyday. His feedback wasn't just good overall, it was good for the item I wanted to buy, and hence I bought it. Giving someone a little less than $3000 is not easy, but you gotta know how to do it. Hope that helps. eBay is extremely, extremely useful if you know how to use it and how to make the most of it. Its an art to avoid scam :D

OP
K

klumick

I just got a practically brand new 15" 1.33ghz aluminum powerbook with 768 megs in it, a dvdr drive, 80 gig hd, and airport extreme for $2050. The guy lievd very close to me so i felt secure sending him a money order for $2050. It arrived and im amazed.

OP
P

prozach1576

Yeah, ebay is quite safe if you know what you're doing. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Look to save money, but expect it to be realistic. Ebay isn't magic. It's easier to make money on ebay than it is to save. :)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Don't order from eBay... you might get a pistol instead! :p

OP
S

Sirjammer69

Absolute Zero said:
Don't order from eBay... you might get a pistol instead! :p

I have recived a tibook, ibook and maybe 10 other laptops on ebay, ebay is fine if you look for real pics and real feedback on expensive items, as well as realistic payment options like paypal, not western union etc.

Look for higher feedback on higher ticket items
Look for real pics not stock or professional website pics
and look for realistic reserves and buy it now prices,
Look at the location of the item, most UK Canada and US listings with the afforementioned things are legit.

BTW TFT stands for thin film transistor, LCD liquid crystal display, CRT Cathode Ray Tube these are just types of screen.

J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.