• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Could this be a solution to Global Warming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Watch this video.

It seems to be a bulletproof argument about what to do about Global Warming - no matter if you think its real or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
Wow, just wow!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
some of the comments on it:
This logic applies to ANY argument. Replace "Global Climate Change" with "Displeasing God and engendering his Holy Wrath", and the logic holds. Do we have any reason to believe "Engendering God's Wrath" is a reason to change our entire economic and political sytems, on a global scale? How about substituting the idea that "eating pasta makes the moon shrink"? The chart works the same way.

A worldwide economic depression could very likely have the following consequences: Economic (duh), political, social, environmental, and health catastrophes. Therefore, the columns should read; A, False: Worldwide economic depression with the death of the majority of mankind as a consequence. A, True: Worldwide economic recession. B, False: Continued prosperity of mankind and B, True: The death of the majority of mankind. So there's really only on smiley face o the chart. And it's in column B.

He admits in the beginning of the video that we don't all agree and that noone truly knows the whole picture. So, by trying to "fix" the problem make things worse because its a problem we don't understand. Perhaps tinkering with the environment will push things toward catastrophe as well. The two columns are essentially the same and both have unpredictable odds.

and this goes on and on for 92 pages of comments. (i only got up to page 10 b4 stopping)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Whilst it really is fairly easy to poke holes in his argument, most people seem to focus on the fact that you could make the same argument for any arbitrary matter.

The difference is that "displeasing the magic spaghetti monster" is not a danger that a whole lot of scientists agree is a real problem facing humanity. Global warming is. Even if you don't believe in global warming per se, the measures that we would need to take to prevent it would improve the environment and the general public's health nonetheless...

Even if you don't believe in global warming, there's no denying the fact that we are seriously messing up the earth and need to stop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Whilst it really is fairly easy to poke holes in his argument, most people seem to focus on the fact that you could make the same argument for any arbitrary matter.

The difference is that "displeasing the magic spaghetti monster" is not a danger that a whole lot of scientists agree is a real problem facing humanity. Global warming is. Even if you don't believe in global warming per se, the measures that we would need to take to prevent it would improve the environment and the general public's health nonetheless...

Even if you don't believe in global warming, there's no denying the fact that we are seriously messing up the earth and need to stop.

I'm not as much concerned about "messing up the earth" as I am messing up ourselves. If some of the measures to clean things up, Global Warming aside, make us as a species healthier then I am all for them. If we enact them for purely political reasons, panic driven or based on potentially flawed science, then I am against them. The stance that reducing carbon emissions makes the air cleaner and less people sick works for me. The stance that reducing carbon emissions will stop Global Warming, doesn't. We KNOW it will make us healthier, we DON'T know it will have ANY impact whatsoever on Global Warming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
What people fail to realize is that volcanoes spew more bad gases into the atmosphere in one eruption than all of humanity in a full year...

So do we put a ban on volcanic activity?

Reaction score
Guys (and Gals) watch the Series Earth Story (with Aubrey Manning) it shows that even though we may have an impact the Planet goes through major changes and the Planet will survive we just may not be around to enjoy it, this program was put together in 98 it's worth a watch.

Reaction score
Oh Boy!! Another thread on Global Warming. And another chance for people to insult each other and give out negative rep just because they disagree with your opinion. This is neat.

I have one comment and one question for all of the folks interested in Global Warming on either side of the argument.

I believe most people who have done any reading on this subject will agree on at least these two things. 1. The earth's temperature has been going through changes for thousands of years, both warming and cooling. 2. We are currently in a phase where the earth is warming -- maybe because of carbon emissions, maybe not.

Here's the question... What is the CORRECT temperature for the earth and just how was this determined?

Without knowing the answer to the above (and I guarantee that I don't), I don't know if the earth is moving toward or away from the CORRECT temperature.

OK, let the insults begin and all you good people can give me negative rep, but I'll bet that you can't answer the question with science. Think about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
I have one comment and one question for all of the folks interested in Global Warming on either side of the argument.

I believe most people who have done any reading on this subject will agree on at least these two things. 1. The earth's temperature has been going through changes for thousands of years, both warming and cooling. 2. We are currently in a phase where the earth is warming -- maybe because of carbon emissions, maybe not.

Here's the question... What is the CORRECT temperature for the earth and just how was this determined?

Without knowing the answer to the above (and I guarantee that I don't), I don't know if the earth is moving toward or away from the CORRECT temperature.

..... but I'll bet that you can't answer the question with science. Think about it.

very nicely said! repped!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well the Earth lived ok for millions of years before people came around. There were hot times, ice ages, volcanic erruptions and the rest. But the earth eventually recovered from them to run smoothly again. It's designed to do that.

And sure the amount of gasses and stuff we pollute the Earth with is kinda tiny when compared tot he Earth's processes. But our contribution is ontop of what the Earth is designed to handle. And over time it'll cumulate to become a problem. I think the problem isn't whether people pollute the Earth or not, but can the Earth and people clean up all the mass made. Be it people with cars or the Earth with volcanoes. We have to work with the Earth, not against it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What people fail to realize is that volcanoes spew more bad gases into the atmosphere in one eruption than all of humanity in a full year...

So do we put a ban on volcanic activity?
That's hardly an argument... the environment is a balanced ecosystem - adding even just a few percent of additional CO2 would overload that system. The result? The CO2 isn't absorbed, but lingers in the air we breathe causing all kinds of fun things (smog, lung disease, and possibly global warming).

Analogy: Your Macbook Pro runs at 70° all on its own. So what's the harm of adding another 20° by putting it on a stove?

Baggss said:
I'm not as much concerned about "messing up the earth" as I am messing up ourselves. If some of the measures to clean things up, Global Warming aside, make us as a species healthier then I am all for them. If we enact them for purely political reasons, panic driven or based on potentially flawed science, then I am against them. The stance that reducing carbon emissions makes the air cleaner and less people sick works for me. The stance that reducing carbon emissions will stop Global Warming, doesn't. We KNOW it will make us healthier, we DON'T know it will have ANY impact whatsoever on Global Warming.

Well, as the dominant species on this planet, I think it's fair to say that any damage we do to the ecosystem is hardly going to be beneficial to us as a species in the long run. If we KNOW that cutting back greenhouse gasses and reducing the amount we pollute the environment is going to improve the general ecosystem we live in - I think that's an investment that's worth making.

Reaction score
Well, as the dominant species on this planet, I think it's fair to say that any damage we do to the ecosystem is hardly going to be beneficial to us as a species in the long run.
Humans, though, are not the dominant species — and neither is any mammal, reptile, fish or anything larger and more complicated than a virus or a microbe. This egocentrism colours all our thinking about the ecosystem.

There are more cockroaches than there are humans, and cockroaches are much harder to eradicate.

If we destroy the food chain, humans would discover soon enough they are not the dominant species, and never had been.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, that was bad phrasing on my part. Remove the dominant and my point remains the same.

Well, as a species on this planet, I think it's fair to say that any damage we do to the ecosystem is hardly going to be beneficial to us as a species in the long run.

Reaction score
...But our contribution is ontop of what the Earth is designed to handle. And over time it'll cumulate to become a problem.

How do you know this? This is purely speculation and opinion and nothing more. Please tell me how you can prove this?

I am 100% in favor of keeping the earth clean. I wish the government would stop giving money to all of the lazy people who choose not to work and all of the other handouts and fund some serious research into hydrogen fuel cells, solar energy, and all other forms of potential energy that could reduce or eliminate the burning of oil and other fossil fuels. The side benefit of being able to tell the middle-eastern countries to EAT THEIR OIL would also be kinda cool.

When I look at the folks who are pushing the global-warming-agenda I just get suspicious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's hardly an argument... the environment is a balanced ecosystem - addinIf we KNOW that cutting back greenhouse gasses and reducing the amount we pollute the environment is going to improve the general ecosystem we live in - I think that's an investment that's worth making.

That's my point. We DON'T know how much damage any of this is really doing to the ecosystem, if any. Everything from both sides of the argument is flawed, incomplete science or simply a "guess" at best. We DO know that many emissions and other forms of pollution are bad for our own health, that is a worthwhile reason to cut back. Cutting back reasonably and smartly in ways that are measurable to improve our own health as a species is good, cutting back in a knee jerk reaction to alarmist or politicians is silly, dangerous and potentially disastrous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
CO2 is hardly bad for our health, and therefore reducing emissions of CO2 for human health isn't really an argument (CO2 may be bad in really big doses, but at current levels - approx 480 parts per million - it is not)

And I don't see how global warming cannot be at least in part be caused by human activity. We have a gas, carbon dioxide, which we know causes the earth to be warmer than it would be otherwise (20-something C on average instead of -5 or so on average). We then do stuff that dramatically increases the amount of this gas in the atmosphere. The result should be pretty obvious. What we don't have that much grasp on is how much the temperature will increase, and what the effects will be, and what our chances of at least stabilizing the earth's temperature are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
which we know causes the earth to be warmer than it would be otherwise (20-something C on average instead of -5 or so on average).

Really? As someone else in this thread asked, what is the "normal" temperature for the earth supposed to be? What period time to you use to figure that out and how do you know that what you think you are observing is not part of a larger pattern that you don't yet understand? This is one of those very big guesses that everyone seems to assume is right, but no ones if it really is. When speaking of a system as complex as our planets atmosphere is and with as little as we actually know about it, much of this seems like mere speculation based on a small amount of data gathered vs the period of time the planet has been around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
Really? As someone else in this thread asked, what is the "normal" temperature for the earth supposed to be? What period time to you use to figure that out and how do you know that what you think you are observing is not part of a larger pattern that you don't yet understand? This is one of those very big guesses that everyone seems to assume is right, but no ones if it really is. When speaking of a system as complex as our planets atmosphere is and with as little as we actually know about it, much of this seems like mere speculation based on a small amount of data gathered vs the period of time the planet has been around.

There's little need to know what the right temperature for earth is. What we have about now is right. This is what our civilization has adapted to, this is the sealevel we have and so forth. It doesn't matter what is correct, what matters is where people live, and people live overwhelmingly on coast lines. That is, areas with little elevation. If temperatures increase much, the ice caps will melt more and more, and hundreds of millions will loose their homes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.