• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Genius Bars

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | 1.83 Ghz | 1.5G | 80G HD
hi,

as a european not having the possibility to got to an apple retail store i have one question: if you ask for help at the genius bar do you have to pay for their service or is it free?

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If it's just asking for help, then it's free. When it's asking to get something repaired, then it might cost you money.

You could always ask us your question. Most of us don't ask for anything in return ;P

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, this place is really like a virtual genius bar. seriously.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks... it's just because i'm working on a research paper and i'm looking for nonprofit aspects within apple :)
if i face technical problems i'm definitely gonna be back!

btw. i will travel to the states this summer - do you already know if there will be a possibility to get an iphone unlocked and without contract somehow?

and what's the best place to get a dslr for a good price? (i'm thining about a canon d350 or 400)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
For the "Genius" bar, I went a couple times and was very disappointed. I took the time to set an appointment and go to the store just to have this "genius" tell me he wasn't sure what to do and I should just run updates. Second time, same answer. That was it for me. I found this site and have gotten much better answers from nicer people. I will never ask for help from the store again unless something breaks or my MBP is completely inoperable.

As for the dslr, it really depends on a lot of things. How serious you are about photography, how much you plan to spend and other factors. I have a 400D and love it. IT's very comparable to it's big brother, the 30D at a lower cost. One gripe some have is the body is smaller and some find it more difficult to hold and the weight of body to lens disproportionate with heavier lenses, but I don't mind it at all. Plus you can get a battery grip that helps with that issue.

There are several manufacturers: Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Sigma. You'll find Canon and Nikon at the top of anyone's list. After all the arguing, you'll also find that their performance is very similar. I just prefer Canon because they have a good reputation and their glass it top notch to me. Check out any major event and you'll see many distinctive white Canon "L" lenses being used by the photographers.

A good place to find out about Canon cameras, lenses, or anything else is at www.photograph-on-the.net . I've found it to be the M-F of the camera world: lots of very good information, nice people, and many professionals who offer good advice. If you have any questions about the 400D in particular, let me know and I'll answer as best I can.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your reply. i will do some research and post upcoming questions here!

what shops in the states offer the best prices? I'll be be in new york and san francisco in august - any recommendation where to go if I want to buy a dslr?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

These guys have a great reputation for their products among serious photographers and some of the best prices around. I'm pretty sure they have a brick and mortar shop in New York.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh, they really offer a good price - more than 100 euros cheaper than here plus a 2 GB sandisk cf card included! (350d)

do you think it's a problem concerning customs buying a dsl in the us and bringing it back to europe? i mean i will shoot a few pics since i'm gonna stay at least for two weeks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You would only have customs issues if you were getting the camera shipped to you. If you stuff the camera in your luggage, then customs won't be a problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Customs is only concerned over a certain dollar amount, like $1,000 I think and reporting the info is pretty much voluntary.

Reaction score
Customs is only concerned over a certain dollar amount, like $1,000 I think and reporting the info is pretty much voluntary.
U.S. Customs, maybe. But it might be vastly different and a lower monetary amount in Austria. The U.S. doesn't concern itself with anything like a VAT, if Austria has one.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

These guys have a great reputation for their products among serious photographers and some of the best prices around. I'm pretty sure they have a brick and mortar shop in New York.

so one more question. as well on bhphotovideo.com as bestbuy.com and some other sites, cameras are just offered with a limited 1-year US-warranty. don't you get worldwide warranty on digital cameras in the US? that would be a pitty...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.