Outlook to Thunderbird

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Hi. I just got my first Mac, it's a really nice bit of kit. I downloaded Thunderbird but I can't figure out how to import my old Outlook 2003 emails to Thunderbird. When I go into import I don't get a option to import from Outlook.

Has anyone done this before and does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Not sure on the most direct route - but there are a couple of long'ish ways about this.

1st is to use Outlook Express (included with most versions of Windows) to import the mail from Outlook 2003 then you can export the mail from outlook express to a file type that Thunderbird can use.

2nd and prob the better method is to install Thunderbird to the PC - I'm pretty sure Thunderbird can import mail straight from Outlook 2003 directly when on the same machine - makes some kind of a link with Outlook and pulls each mail over to Thunderbird. Once the mail is in Thunderbird browse to c:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles and copy the profile file/directory - will be named something like xxxxx.default. now go to your mac browse to the profile location for Thunderbird on a Mac and past the profile you just copied from Windows.

Ok a little bit of looking about and I found this; http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files kind of says what I just said but in a more readable way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The O2M program (Outlook2Mac) does just this, so I have read. See:

http://www.littlemachines.com/

This is $10.00 shareware but I have read good reports of it. You run it on your PC, and it converts your PST files to industry standard MBX files. From there on, almost any email client can import the folders and messages.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Thanks for your help guys. I installed Thunderbird on my old PC and backed everything up and then copied it over to my new MacBook.

I now have all my emails back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
RNDDave, EXCELLENT tip. I did not know that SimpleMAPI even existed, much less that I could use it to do PST to MBX exporting! Thanks!

Reaction score
I've transferred my mail to Thunderbird and I'm now trying to find the correct files to rename to .mbox and I can't find them. There are so many files I just don't know which. Please help!!! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.