Video Card question...

J

Joeytpg

Hi guys, thanks for helping me again......

I have a little question and i think some of you can help me even tho it's not really MAC related.....

i own a PC (Win XP), even tho i'm switching in about 3 months or so i can still enjoy some cool things my computer has ight?, so listen my PC has an nVidia video card and it allows me to use the T.V. as an extended monitor......actually this is cool because i can do different things (i can be gaming on the monitor, and browsing some site on the T.V., so it's not just mirroring......

But there's something i don't like....and it's that the t.v. doesn't have nearly the same quality as the monitor...(for videos and pics, MAYBE it's cool....and you won't notice the difference THAT much, but with words, and reading, it really REALLY S...cks) ....so....i was thinking that maybe somehow i could connect another monitor, and have TWO monitors running ......but there's a bit of a problem...the card only has IN/OUT (S-VIDEO), and the monitors (at least the spear one i got is SERIAL, what can i do?.......usually the connnection i use for the T.V. set up, is just a S-VIDEO cable that connects IN the t.v. and OUT the Video card (on the computer),

you got any ideas how can i make that connnection?....i called Radio Shack (here in Dominican Republic where i live) and they say they don't have a connector that converts Serial port to S-VIDEO ....

how can i do this??

i really want to use this nvidia card feature with two monitors so i can run a few things at the same time...

i know this has been done cuz i've seen it......

suggestions are very welcome! :D

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You would need a new video card that has 2 outputs for that to work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Hmm.. On a PC system, the only headache-less way to have dual monitor, is to have a Video card that supports Dualhead, i.e. has two S-VGA outputs. However, in the olden days there were some ways of making it work, using two separate video cards. It's an cheap alternative and effective but very messy and has many complications; especially with the OS.

As for a Mac. Most Professional Desktop systems (I refer to PowerMacs only) will support dual display with the exceptions of the iMac and eMac (those are consumer and education models.)

Adding Dual display to a Desktop/Tower Powermac is a piece of cake! It's a matter of either plugin in an monitor to one of the spare S-VGA sockets or adding a Macintosh compatible card into a spare PCI slot.

For Multi Display (more than two!)
Yes, we can do this without too much fuss. There are a few options, either use both ports of your Dualhead card (both ADC connector and DVI connector) and add an additional card.

Or, if your Current system only have a single S-VGA connector. You'll need to add a Mac compatible Dualhead card to a spare PCI slot, install the drivers (if any, normally there are non.)

Or, if your already using a 2 card system, you may add yet another card and have multi displays and if you REALLY want! You can have in excess of four displays.

For the most intensive video editing suite, you can get away with 2 Cinema Displays or Have 3 attached if you really want a mega-huge desktop!

My Desktop:
ss170103b.jpg

Resolution: 1600 by 1200 x 3
Main: ATI RADEON 9600 Pro (Default Card)
Slave: ATI RADEON 9500 (Mac Edition)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
thats pretty sweet hype.it
I have my 17" LCD hooked up to my powerbook for two monitors which is nice and the monitor alignment thing is pretty sweet since they are not on the same level or same size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Sweeeeeet!!!!!!!! Thats what I call widescreen - Awesome :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.