iChat to another program...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Hello. as many of you may already know me on here I will soon be buying a MBP which will be my first Mac. I had a question though, as if I haven't had enough already lol.

When using iChat I noticed that the quality is extremely good, is this only between iChat users that the quality will be this good or will it be that good when the person you are chatting with is using Yahoo or MSN? is the video chat even possible to do say if I were using iChat and my buddy was using yahoo? if it is possible would the person still be able to see all the effects and stuff that i would be able to do? thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Adium is a freeware program that works with most instant messaging clients.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Adium is a freeware program that works with most instant messaging clients.

...and doesn't do video.

I've only been able to do iChat with other Mac users with iChatAV. Allegedly aMSN will support the camera, but I haven't tested this much.

I've also been meaning to test out using the video cam with Parallels on my XP VM, but haven't had the time. We use Sametime at the office, but once again, I haven't had time plus the one person at the office who has a webcam is someone I am not inclined to do video chats with.

OP
TheInvsbleMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no what i mean is I will be using iChat... if it works. But if the other person is using yahoo or MSN will it still work the same, will they still be able to see the effects? will video chat even work with them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
iChat only works with AIM

OP
TheInvsbleMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so only AIM people will be able to talk to me? not MSN or Yahoo? and I won't be able to log into MSN or Yahoo with iChat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Thats correct. unfortunately.

As much as I love iChat, its disappointing that it only works with AIM. There was a rumor that I read somewhere that with Leopard iChat will support more IM Clients, but again thats only a Rumor.

AdiumX is a great All In One IM Client, u can log in to multiple accounts on different service all at once (Yahoo, ICQ, AIM, MSN) BUT again no Video or Audio there.

Like Mentioned above aMSN is an Alternative Client for MSN that will do Video/Audio, but I haven't tried it either, but I hear its good.

Cheers and Congrats in Advance for getting the MBP Enjoy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
iChat works primarily with AIM, as well as Google Talk and .Mac users.

There are separate clients for Y! and MSN available from Yahoo and Microsoft, respectively. And there is Adium, which supports practically everything, but text-only.

The Microsoft MSN client does not support video. For MSN video, there is aMSN.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.