iPhone and your SIM Card

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody heard of the SIM card situation on the iPhone? Is there a slot that you slide it in to or where does it go? Cause I'd like to be able to remove the card and pop it in to a spare RAZR I have when I go to the beach or something so I don't mess it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
in the Introduction of the iPhone in WWDC The presentation running behind the Great Almighty ;P Steve Jobs Showed the different pictures of all angles of the iPhone and on the top it had an arrow pointing that was labeled SIM Card Slot. So I am guessing that you can take out easily.

You might want to check the video out it should be on the Apple Website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is the link where you can watch the iPhone introduction.

iPhone Intro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody heard of the SIM card situation on the iPhone? Is there a slot that you slide it in to or where does it go? Cause I'd like to be able to remove the card and pop it in to a spare RAZR I have when I go to the beach or something so I don't mess it up.

I'm not sure doing that is possible on the AT&T network. I'm pretty sure a user's SIM number is tied uniquely to a device's phone number and IMEI number to form the active account. If the RAZR is inactive, I don't think powering the phone on with an active SIM chip will bring it back to the network. You'd have to call Cingular to reactivate the device, and more or less explain what you're doing.

I'm not sure how it all works with personal phone accounts, but I know that at least in an enterprise environment, putting an active Cingular SIM into an inactive phone does nothing. I don't see why it would be different for personal accounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
josh, swapping SIM cards between phones on Cingular/AT&T is no problem. As long as his Razr is Cingular branded or unlocked, it'll work just fine.

It's Verizon and Spring that tie phone IMEI numbers to individual numbers. I swap SIM cards all the time with Cingular and never have any issues.

I just noticed something funny. 2 years ago AT&T Wireless became Cingular right around the time my AT&T Wireless contract expired. I renewed for 2 years with Cingular and now that that contract is up, AT&T is back, so now I get to renew my contract under the AT&T name :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have to agree with Kash. You can swap the SIM Card between phones as long as the phones are either UNLOCKED or Cingular branded.

So Kash I am guessing you like ur service up NJ with Cingular... I mean AT&T :p. I used to hate them when I lived up there. What part of NJ are u in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
josh, swapping SIM cards between phones on Cingular/AT&T is no problem. As long as his Razr is Cingular branded or unlocked, it'll work just fine.

I just noticed something funny. 2 years ago AT&T Wireless became Cingular right around the time my AT&T Wireless contract expired. I renewed for 2 years with Cingular and now that that contract is up, AT&T is back, so now I get to renew my contract under the AT&T name :p

Thanks for the info Kash. As I said, I wasn't quite familiar with how the personal usage rights work. That's handy to know.

Regarding the switch, I work in the wireless support department for a large health care company, and most of our Blackberries are on Cingular. Imagine how much of a joy it is to switch people from AT&T Wireless to Cingular, then see everything rebranded again. :Smirk: At least this time, it doesn't involve a considerable change in technology, but merely a change in the branding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook C2D 1gb ram 120gb
Picture1-3.png

hope that helps you a little.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
lol, what exactly is that arrow pointing to?

i used to switch SIM cards when i was with Nextel, so i know on that network it does work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
lol, what exactly is that arrow pointing to?

i used to switch SIM cards when i was with Nextel, so i know on that network it does work.

Same here on Cingular. Have quite a few cell phones and can plug in my SIM card into any of them and it works as long as the phone is not locked to another carrier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.