• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why why why are some people so stupid?

Reaction score
I pulled the original post to rethink the wording between breaks at work. The basis was that folks in the news industry are already pointing out Safari for Windows flaws even though its still beta. It went on to say that these so-called professional journalists and techies are to quick to jump on new things and that they should be more responsible with their reporting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Yanno Jake, I hear ya. Go rant at those sites where they do that stuff. That's what comments are for there! :)

Reaction score
Except that Jobs praised Safari for Windows as the best thing since sliced bread. It sounded, according to him, like it would end world poverty. So when it bombs on uncountable numbers of Windows boxes, I can understand the reaction. It does nothing for Jobs' credibility, either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Well when it's out of Beta, it'll likely start living up to expectations. Doesn't anyone remember the World of Warcraft beta? Oh good lord that was a nightmare. (I've been doing one for the Pirates of the Caribbean mmo...2 hours of frustration a week..but it's shaping up.)

Today, people have no patience...and little understanding of what makes things even work. They just want it now now now now now and yesterday. It doesn't help that process. Now, if Apple had been doing beta for Safari for Windows, and then Jobs announced yesterday that it was ready, and we got what it is now...THEN the ire is deserved.

Reaction score
The same thing happened with iTunes for Windows, and if I recall correctly, Apple had to issue a patch or two to stop the crashes. It took a while, though. Unfortunately, Jobs also said Apple had lots of experience with Windows apps because of iTunes. Truer words were never spoken.

Reaction score
Hey, if we were all smart, we'd have nothing to laugh about. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hey, if we were all smart, we'd have nothing to laugh about. ;)

I think I'd rather not laugh than bang my head against the wall constantly :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Maybe people are just used to Apple turning out finished products than buggy betas and used to things just working. I don't have much Apple experience, but the only public beta product I can recall coming from Apple is Boot Camp.

but its true that people just want everything now now now. Maybe Apple's feeling the public demand pressure to produce that comes from having a significant customer base

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe people are just used to Apple turning out finished products than buggy betas and used to things just working. I don't have much Apple experience, but the only public beta product I can recall coming from Apple is Boot Camp.

but its true that people just want everything now now now. Maybe Apple's feeling the public demand pressure to produce that comes from having a significant customer base

People need to learn to be more patient. There are so many different PC's with different hardware, some things are going to go wrong on some combinations of hardware. It worked well here on my Dell P4 and older IBM Thinkpad PIII.

Just installed it on my AMD Turion 64 Laptop with XP SP2 Home. Works great. Posting this from it.

Reaction score
Dang!! It looks like the original message was edited/deleted. I was hoping to FINALLY find out why some people ARE so stupid. Sadly, all I found was another thread about computer stuff. Sigh.

OP
J
Reaction score
I think people need to understand the chance they are given with the beta release. In Linux everything is available to everybody in beta, those in the software community that wish to participate do and the finished product is all that much better for it. You all see the bug icon at the top of the page? Its your chance to have a hand in the final product. I like Safari for Windows for the same reason I have a picture of my wife and kids here at work, a little bit of home at work. Remember the '97 Microsoft deal? IE as the default browser for Mac. Now Apple has a browser for Windows. I say well done for trying. I think it signifies Apple is becoming ready to compete with Microsoft in all venues.

OP
J
Reaction score
Except that Jobs praised Safari for Windows as the best thing since sliced bread. It sounded, according to him, like it would end world poverty. So when it bombs on uncountable numbers of Windows boxes, I can understand the reaction. It does nothing for Jobs' credibility, either.

Jobs seems to enjoy his job to me. Perhaps he gets a little over-zealous but who do you want cooking your dinner, a thin guy or a fat one. I'm "heafty" and I enjoy cooking. Same thing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think people need to understand the chance they are given with the beta release. In Linux everything is available to everybody in beta, those in the software community that wish to participate do and the finished product is all that much better for it. You all see the bug icon at the top of the page? Its your chance to have a hand in the final product. I like Safari for Windows for the same reason I have a picture of my wife and kids here at work, a little bit of home at work. Remember the '97 Microsoft deal? IE as the default browser for Mac. Now Apple has a browser for Windows. I say well done for trying. I think it signifies Apple is becoming ready to compete with Microsoft in all venues.

Well said!

And on your other post, the thin person for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It goes with the territory writing Windows software - it's difficult to get things working on EVERY installation out there. And bear in mind it's beta software - crashes are to be expected.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My first experience with Safari on Windows was an almost immediate crash - the minute it prompted me for Proxy credentials on my work machine. Heck, I can't even do anything with it since all traffic is filtered through a proxy. But that's the nature of the beast. It pains me to see the press and blogosphere reviewing this very early beta as though it were ready for prime time. They just don't get it, which is particularly surprising for Microsoft customers. Most MS software in version 1.0 is buggier than alphas in Linux. Most of the IT community waits for SP1 before implementing a new MS product.

Reaction score
Yeah well, people expect too much from Apple. And they always wait to find some dirt about Apple since their doing quite well.

I think Safari's brand awareness will grow along with iPhone too, so it might become a prominent browser, but it should have some better features, like the new search - it's awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb

How is he supposed to present products? With a shrug "Well, you might want this and it might work OK on your PC."? You might need to get used to the Reality Distortion Field, it goes with the territory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
So now Safari is a cross platform browser, surely the anti trust boys will insist it isn't bundled with OSX, right?

:Evil:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.