Transferring music across platforms(Win to Mac)& Transferring music back to computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I do revision with my friends for the exams, and they have a 15 GB & 30 GB iPods. I have never connected an iPod to my computer before.

Now, my query is:

1) Is it ok for me to bring either of their iPods to my house and transfer an album I have in iTunes to his/her iPod? Both use iPod on a windows platform and I run OSX. Will I have any problems?

2) I've heard that its not possible to transfer music back to the computer from the iPod. Is this true? I need to get a remix track from the 15GB iPod, can't I do it? If iTunes doesn't allow this, is there a third party software that will?
Besides, if this is true, then how do ppl use the iPod as a mini hard drive? I don't see the point when u can't retrieve ur data from the hard drive to the computer.

All advice appreciated. Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. If it is pc formatted you can transfer from both pc and mac.....if it is mac formatted only the mac can see it. Legally you cant transfer these albums since they dont own them

2. You can not transfer music back using iTunes but there are 3rd party apps (search for iPodRip on versiontracker.com) that work but not the greatest. You can retrieve data but you can not just drag and drop music files which is why it works fine as a minihd

T

TylerMoney

there are actually quite a few programs out now that allow you to transfer your music from the iPod back onto the mac....though we shouln't have to use 3rd party programs for that....I should be able to do it..just because it's my iPod and my mac...and I paid for both...with hard cash.....dangit!....or something...grrr...yeah..alright...that's enough from me I guess :)

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Any particular programs you can recommend for the transfer of music files back to a mac?

The iPod is Windows formatted though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Windows formatted actually is better because it can be used on both macs and windows.

Mac formatted only works on macs

Looking around this is the most popular software

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13166

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
T

Tangerine

Actually there is a way to transfer music files from the ipod to the computer. All you have to do is turn on the option to show hidden files in folders, then do a search for the file name or ".mp3".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.