reassigning the instrument library

Reaction score
hey all! i appreciate any help, heres my problem/question:

is there any way to reassign where garageband/logic look for your instrument library? when you install jam packs they want to be put on your main hard drive, but mine is too small for all the files (an old G4), but i do have an exterior hard dive with more than enough room. my idea was to put the installed files in an identical path minus the starting "volume". (so something like "Exterior HD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/" instead of the usual "Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/") and then moving the .app on to the exterior HD.. but it didn't work

does anyone know if it is at all possible to reassign through garageband or system preferences the place garageband looks for the instrument library? or for that matter any solution?

thanks,
martin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
Have you tried simply dragging the files from the external drive right into Garageband?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.