Trouble Reading CDs in Bootcamp

Reaction score
I have a first generation mbp running Windows XP via the Bootcamp v 1.1.1 Beta. Windows itself has been running fine, and I have had no problems reading DVD movies, but I recently tried installing some software from CD and had the reoccurring problem that the CDs would not be recognized. I'd put them in the drive and they would spin, sputter, spin, sputter, and then eject without being read. The software in question was on a CD that can run in both Windows and on a "Power Macintosh", so I thought that maybe it was the dual-operating system part of the disc that was causing problems. I tried another windows only CD and I encountered the same problem. The drive I have is the Matshita DVD-R UJ-857.

Has anybody else experienced this trouble? SHould I try reinstalling windows? Perhaps with Bootcamp 1.2? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Re-booting into OS X on your MBP, can you access these CD's from there?
This would at least be a clue as to whether it is a drive issue or a possible Boot Camp/Windows issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.