• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A great money saving tip for all of you looking to buy a Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Hey everyone, I'm not kidding around when I tell you that this works.

A month ago, I got done reading Neal Boortz's latest book "Somebody's Gotta Say It!" In the book's last chapter he stops doing political rants and leaves the reader with a great money saving tip that I tried and it actually worked. It's such a simple idea that most people don't think about it. What is it?

Never spend a $1 bill. You can spend $20's, $10's, $5's, but never a $1. It worked. I've been doing this for a month now and I just checked the jar I've been keeping and I have nearly $80 in there. I didn't even use cash for all of my transactions this month, so the total could have been much more. Seriously, I was skeptical of the claim, but I can honestly say that you never realize how many $1's you go through in a month until you refuse to spend them.

So, I just felt like sharing that with you all. Try it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I never really use cash, but this sounds like a good way to fool yourself into saving. Nice.

Neal is a cool guy too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
Hey everyone, I'm not kidding around when I tell you that this works.

A month ago, I got done reading Neal Boortz's latest book "Somebody's Gotta Say It!" In the book's last chapter he stops doing political rants and leaves the reader with a great money saving tip that I tried and it actually worked. It's such a simple idea that most people don't think about it. What is it?

Never spend a $1 bill. You can spend $20's, $10's, $5's, but never a $1. It worked. I've been doing this for a month now and I just checked the jar I've been keeping and I have nearly $80 in there. I didn't even use cash for all of my transactions this month, so the total could have been much more. Seriously, I was skeptical of the claim, but I can honestly say that you never realize how many $1's you go through in a month until you refuse to spend them.

So, I just felt like sharing that with you all. Try it!

I do the same with $1 and $2 coins here in OZ, just put them in an Apple money box.
Last time I took it to the bank for counting I had $758 + a button..LOL;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
You're all wrong

Just don't eat

Who needs food? Whens the last time you saw a steak with a dual core CPU?

Reaction score
The $1 plan doesn't work here because Canada has $1 and $2 coins. It's a secret government plot hatched to force everyone to spend money. It works because if you don't spend them, your pockets drag along the ground, and a jar full of dollars weighs 3,000 pounds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I do the same with change. I never spend change. The dollar thing sounds cool though. May try that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
i save single dollar bills for bachelor's party.
and not for a new mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I do the same thing with my gold and silver coins in Australia. And yeah it really works. In 2 years I had around $1600. That with student discount was almost enough to purchase the imac I wanted. It really works. And surprisngly You're not missing out on much by saving as all that money would have gone on pointless stuff anyways.

T

todd51

I usually just say I'm going to save a certain percent of my paycheck. Depending on how much I usually make, most of the time I automatically save 30% of my checks and keep them in the bank, and my account steadily grows over time, before you know it, you'll have a lot of money!

My father always taught me, even if you have bills, ALWAYS pay yourself first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.