Help! home icon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
i need help, i accidentally dragged my home icon (the one that's a house) out onto the desktop and it went poof and disappeared!!!

how do i get it back?

M

MacHeadCase

Ok do you mean you deleted it from the left-hand sidebar of a Finder window?

I think you can open a Finder window and go to Macintosh HD -> Users and grab the icon that you see for your user account and drop it in the left-hand sidebar again. It's basically just an alias anyway.

Reaction score
You didn't mess anything up, don't worry. You just removed an Alias to your home folder (similar to a shortcut in Windows) from the sidebar in the Finder.

The sidebar holds your favourite locations for quick access, and you can customize it as you wish.

To get the icon back, double-click on your Macintosh HD and go to the "Users" folder. Then drag your "home folder" back to the sidebar.

The dock is also just a bunch of aliases, not really the application itself.

If you want a shortcut to your home folder on the desktop, go to the aforementioned users folder and right click on the home icon, select "Make Alias". You can now drag this out to the desktop and it won't go "poof" :).

More about Aliases on Wikipedia

Reaction score
in safari?

right click between the icons, "Customize Toolbar" and drag you little house back into the bar. Voila, not homeless anymore :)

EDIT: ok, that's a lot of different possibilities for different icons you might have lost. pick the right one!

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
OMG, my tummy just did several back flips there...

thank you guys (^____^)

(*whew...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
When I use a Wacom tablet I accidentally drag stuff off the sidebar all the freaking time. Dock too. It's real hard to keep that nib just off the surface when tracking across it and the chances of it making contact with the tablet while the cursor is going across the sidebar are better than I ever thought. I'd catch it just after the fact: "Wait, did I just see a *poof*? Aw, crap I dragged something off the sidebar again!"

Got so bad after awhile I took a screen grab of a Finder window just so I could refer back and figure out what was supposed to be there.

BTW you can also drag things (folders, home, pictures, etc.) up to the bar just below the title bar so they're always available up there too. Just take whatever folder you want to put there and drag it up next to the little spotlight thing and wait a moment. You can drop it there and it'll show up on any Finder window you open. You can't drag them off though, you need to right [control] click the icon and select 'Remove item'. Might be a good way to prevent accidental drag/poof-age.

Hey, cool you can drag just about anything up there! I forget where I learned of this one; it was definitely one of the members on this board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
To get the icon back, double-click on your Macintosh HD and go to the "Users" folder. Then drag your "home folder" back to the sidebar.

Trivial Pursuit time!

Here's something that I think the average user doesn't know about:

You don't have to be "outside" a folder to add it to the Sidebar, Dock, and so on!

You can drag the icon in the title bar to the Finder Sidebar or to the Dock.

What you do is you bring your mouse over the folder icon in the title bar.
Click-and-hold it for a sec; the icon should turn gray.
Then you can drag it to the Finder Sidebar or to the Dock (right of the separator).

title_bar_icon_drag_click.png

title_bar_icon_drag_sidebar.png

title_bar_icon_drag_dock.png

Furthermore, this can also be used to move the folder! (or copy by holding Option and drag)

Yes that's right! Move the folder (even to the Trash) while you're in it!

title_bar_icon_drag_move.png

title_bar_icon_drag_move_trash.png

Neat, eh?

BTW you can also drag things (folders, home, pictures, etc.) up to the bar just below the title bar so they're always available up there too. Just take whatever folder you want to put there and drag it up next to the little spotlight thing and wait a moment. You can drop it there and it'll show up on any Finder window you open.

You can't drag them off though, you need to right [control] click the icon and select 'Remove item'. Might be a good way to prevent accidental drag/poof-age.

Like any Toolbar item,
you can drag them left and right or "poof-drag" them by holding Command then drag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like any Toolbar item,
you can drag them left and right or "poof-drag" them by holding Command then drag.

Oh, that's cool! Well, it would still prevent accidental poof-dragging since one would be unlikely to be holding down the command key while just tracking around with a stylus. Unless you're in the app with which you'd be doing command clicking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Man, your icon brings me back.

One of my favorites.

"Then you basically put me in space and let me fly around in cool poses!"

XD

You gotta have blue hair!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.