Cassettes to MP3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display
Is Toast the product to get to transfer the cassettes to mp3? I guess I would need an dual RCA cable with a stereo 1/8 jack and go to imput on the back of the G5. Toast would then create digital tracks. I could then burn to cd or transfer to IPod.

C

Chamorro

Not Toast itself, but CD Spin Doctor, which comes w/ Toast. I've also read about and iMovie option, basically just capturing the audio and using something like QuickTime Pro (I thin) to convert it to an audio file.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Have you tried iTunes?

I use GarageBand or Sound Studio to import the audio to AIFF format and then use iTunes to convert it to Mp3, the advantage of using GB is that you can fill out the sound and filter out hiss etc in real time (i.e you can listen to the results and just export the results straight to iTunes when you are happy with it.

iTunes will also burn the results to CD in tagged Mp3 format or Audio.

Once you've made a master CD Toast will make as many copies of it as you like.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Btw here is a neat trick for G5 owners:

1) Get a DTS cable (optical digital) and plug the output socket into the input socket on the back of your G5.

2) From System Preferences select audio in and audio out as digital.

3) Start up GarageBand and create a new Band file named as whatever you want to record and create a new track appropriate to waht you are recording (i.e for a Billy Connolly DVD I selected Live Performance -> Stereo).

4) Put in a DVD and using the DVD player get to the start of what you want to record (you will have to do this visually), pause the DVD and the press Record in GarageBand and Play on the DVD player.

5) Sit back and wait until you are past the end of what you want to record then stop recording.

Now just switch the system audio back and fine tune the audio in GarageBand. (i.e get the levels right, add reverb etc)

A two hour DVD audio track will fill around a Gb btw so do it in several slices otherwise GarageBand will choke on it, around 500Mb per track seems to be it's limit of usability on a G5 with 1.5Gb of RAM.

In GarageBand cut the track into 10 minute segments and export each segment to iTunes, then use iTunes to convert each segment into Mp3 (aiming at around 10 Mbytes per Mp3 file) and at the same time numbering them as Track 01, Track 02 etc.

Now just delete all the AIFF files from iTune and export the whole thing (i.e all the Mp3 files) to your iPod and you now have your very own film soundtrack on the iPod in segments that will load into Ram and play continously. I have 3 whole put DVDs of stand up comedy routines on my iPod using this method plus the music from the Lord of the rings extended version.

PS remember to give the tracks an album name (select all the tracks in iTunes, right click or ctrl-mouse and select Get Info) so that they are easy to find afterwards.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.