First Mac Foray, system dead?

Reaction score
So I picked up an old b&w 450mhz g3 with 578mb or so of memory to play with, curious about os x and the entire mac environment.

I got a copy of OS-X tiger imaged onto a drive and was amazed how easy everything was to setup-- true plug and play. So after playing with the GUI, which I am sure benefits from some tweaking on such an old box, I plugged into my home network to test out some file sharing capability.

Halfway through downloading a portion of my music files from a win2k box the g3 ate it with a "you must restart" box. Hmm.. On restart OS X wouldn't stop beachballing to finally load. So I try to boot into safe mode by holding shift-- get to the first pinwheel Mac boot screen and the whole system cuts off halfway through. Try again, same result. Can't find any documentation on what causes this. Won't boot normal or safe, cuts out every time.

Already only one day and I managed to hose the system... anyone know what causes this shut-off?

Thanks you all for any suggestions, can't wait to get back to playing with all the os x goodies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Sounds to me like an issue with one (or more) of three things:
1. Logic board (motherboard of a Mac)
2. Hard Drive (bad sectors? Try running disc utility and disc repair from the OS X startup DVD)
3. Perhaps you fried some RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
i had this problem with my g4 iBook, but it was when i was trying to connect to internet via usb dongle, but then once i got a new router and airport card is stopped, but not sure if this is the same as your problem. i just know how annoying it is when it keeps making you restart.

hope you get it sorted out soon.

chrisgrieve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Well, the issue he is experiencing is different...he simply can't boot into the operating system, period.

Based on the info provided, and the fact that a Kernel Panic (You need to restart your computer - grey screen) initiated it all spells out a critical hardware error to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
well it is a G3. You can't blame if it if it can't handle much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
I'd agree with jernel panic

smurfy, try doing that task on a G3, its more than up to it - Before the ethernet port on the logic board of my G3 went it could handle a lot more than that (Lower spec than OP)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.