Speakers for MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
I plan on switching to a new 17" MBP soon and I'm just doing my research first and also saving money haha. I was wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to hook up surround sound speakers to it? would I need some type of separate hardware to do it? If so how would the quality be? the speakers in question are the Logitech z-5300e speakers. If anybody has any info it would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I plan on switching to a new 17" MBP soon and I'm just doing my research first and also saving money haha. I was wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to hook up surround sound speakers to it? would I need some type of separate hardware to do it? If so how would the quality be? the speakers in question are the Logitech z-5300e speakers. If anybody has any info it would be appreciated.

The speakers you are asking about require seperate audio inputs for left/right, center/subwoofer, and rear. You would be able to use these if you bought a USB external soundcard that has these seperate outputs. If you want to use surround sound speakers without buying an external sound card, you'll need to buy a TOS-link cable with headphone jack adapter (the MacBook series, regular and pro, have optical-out built-in to the headphone jack), as well as a set of surround sound speakers that accept an optical audio signal. I know Logitech makes a set of these, it's like one or two models above the ones you are looking at.

Welcome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.