• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac Pro or G5 for video editing with FCP? Which set up is best?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm doing video editing using FCP 4.0 on an older G4 and want to get a Mac Pro and either upgrade to FCP 6.0 or get FCP studio 2.

I"m wondering what the best system set up is- for feature length projects, corporate stuff, FCP and after effects.

-Should I eat rice and beans for the next few years to get a Mac Pro or would I be fine with a Power Mac G5?
-If I do plunge and get the Mac Pro, should I go with the quad or the 8-core- does the difference in speed really make a difference?
-How much ram, what video card, how many GHz would you recommend?
-Does it make sense to buy anything refurbished and has anyone had good experience with reputable sellers?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I am not as qualified to speak on video, but I can say that for audio, DAW software, plug ins and the like, I would shoot for a tricked out G5. Because the intel processors won't work as well with a lot of the software; stuff isn't ironed out yet. I would feel much more comfortable with a powerful G5 and some large capacity HD's. Is this relevant to video? It could be that some of the software and after effects you're looking at will work better with a power pc.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
I am not as qualified to speak on video, but I can say that for audio, DAW software, plug ins and the like, I would shoot for a tricked out G5. Because the intel processors won't work as well with a lot of the software; stuff isn't ironed out yet. I would feel much more comfortable with a powerful G5 and some large capacity HD's. Is this relevant to video? It could be that some of the software and after effects you're looking at will work better with a power pc.

Hope this helps.
I can see what your saying but I'm not sure on the intel Mac Pros, I would think that apple would get the intels to work as good or even better with the apps but I don't have a intel mac so I'm not sure. Back to the topic what kind of video are you editing, and what events, if you edit HD stuff u will need at lest 2gb of ram to be ok and 4gb to be fine. SD 1 or 2gbs is ok. So give us a idea so we can help you out more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Is FCP 6 of FCP2 Studio a Universal Binary? If yes, then go for a MacPro. If no, go for a G5. Pretty simple really.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.