Usb 2.0???

K

kojo

hi, i brought a usb 2.0 card, installed it, seems to work fine with my external hard drive, but i'm not sure as it is working as a usb 2.0 card or on usb 1.1 i dont seem to see any speed advantage.

my real question is does os 9.2.2 support usb 2.0 or do i need extra drivers?

thanx in advance.
dom

OP
C

Chamorro

I can't answer whether OS9.2.2 will support USB 2.0 (you should check Apple's site for that info), but I'll put in that your USB peripherals need to be 2.0 compatible, otherwise they'll only transfer at 1.1 speeds.

OP
K

kojo

well my hd is usb 1.1/2.0 works on the built in usb 1.1 ports on the mac and on the usb 2.0 ports on my pc laptop(and it is faster on the laptop). i cant seem to find anything on the apple site about os 9 having usb 2.0 ports.

its take about 15 mins to put a 500meg file on the hd, does that seem right?

OP
B

Badger

kojo said:
well my hd is usb 1.1/2.0 works on the built in usb 1.1 ports on the mac and on the usb 2.0 ports on my pc laptop(and it is faster on the laptop). i cant seem to find anything on the apple site about os 9 having usb 2.0 ports.

its take about 15 mins to put a 500meg file on the hd, does that seem right?
A couple of ideas:
Some will only run PCI USB cards at 1.1 because of the pci bus installed. Also, the read me file for the last PCI USB card drivers released mentions only USB 1.1 speeds (at 12 mbs). Even if the transfer was at half that speed it should be much faster than you are experiencing.
Badger

OP
K

kojo

i used my usb hd on a freinds mac today, it seems faster on that(he has usb 1.1) so it might be my mac's pci bus like you say, thinking about it i did see somewhere that i need a rev b. motherboard to use usb 2.0. how do i check wot speed my pci bus is?
dom

OP
B

Badger

kojo said:
i used my usb hd on a freinds mac today, it seems faster on that(he has usb 1.1) so it might be my mac's pci bus like you say, thinking about it i did see somewhere that i need a rev b. motherboard to use usb 2.0. how do i check wot speed my pci bus is?
dom

This url is to an Apple page that lists Apple developer notes for all models. The note for the blue and white G3 shows the 1st pci bus is 66 mhz and the other 3 are 33 mhz. It also notes that the first slot is used for the video card.
Badger

OP
K

kojo

i have now found out that 9.2.2 definalty does not support usb 2.0, i can just hope someone makes a patch!

but the pci bus, is this what is slowing down my usb speeds lower that the 1.1 standard? and does the pci bus affect the onboard ports?

thanks for your help btw, u have helped a great deal! :)
dom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.