• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Steve Jobs presentation today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Engadget

Gizmodo

Recap of event: (interview/presentation with Steve Jobs)

Apple:
-Apple = 3 businesses (Macs, Music, Phone) & 1 hobby (AppleTV)
-Jobs says he can see a time when 80-90% of what they sell are notebooks
-says WWDC showing of Leopard is a "massive investment in desktops"

iPhone:
-iPhone runs "real" OS X & Safari
-iPhone's touch keyboard takes a few days to get used to but is better than a real keyboard
-no plans for iTMS store on the iPhone (small screen = poor way to discover new media + backup/sync issue vs. using a computer)
-says they trying for iPhone development to come to 3rd party developers later this year while keeping security

iPod:
-video is a top reason iPods are being purchased
-less than 25 songs sold from iTMS per iPod, i.e people are buying their music elsewhere (hence motivation for DRM-free music)
-next iPod will be "the best ever" and is "awesome"

AppleTV:
-now supports YouTube (upcoming update)
-BTO 160gb hard drive option (200 hours of video, 36,000 songs, 25,000 photos)
-idea is "DVD Player for the Internet"
-may be selling HD in the future in iTMS

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I wonder what Apple has up their sleeves for WWDC. Jobs said there would be an emphasis on desktops thanks to Leopard. iirc, Time Machine requires a 2nd hard drive, so maybe we'll see a cheap Mac tower arrive with the death of the Mac Mini. I am getting more and more interested in the iPhone, especially now that Steve said they are working on security so that 3rd-party developers can write applications for it. I also want to see if the AT&T merge with Cingular will enhance their call quality. I think it's going to be a great phone, but I've learned my lesson about buying first-generation products!

I'm also wondering what their plans are for the iPod. Maybe a mini touchscreen version of the iPhone? Jobs said that his initial outlook on video was that users wouldn't want it on such a small screen, but now video is one of the top reasons that iPods are purchased. I wonder how a touchscreen iPod the size of the iPhone would compete. As far as the AppleTV goes, I'm not really too excited about it. YouTube & hard drive upgrades have been available for awhile via hacks. Plus there's no disc drive or TV tuner for TiVo-like functionality. I'm kind of hoping they'll announce a Mac Home Server, but there weren't any hints about a device like that at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
no plans for iTMS store on the iPhone. says small phone screens have proven to be poor ways to discover new media, plus issue of syncing to computer in case of failure can result in hundreds of dollars lost in multimedia

Sounds like a weak dodge for not offering iTunes on the phone. What's the risk of downloading to the phone?? The only risk I can see is if the phone is very unstable and crashes like Win '98. Plus the comment on being poor for discovering new content is just ridiculous.

I honestly am in shock that this device that "reinvents the phone" with "real OS X" won't have direct download. Then again, I can't believe it's not going to be 3G. Two possible reasons why they won't do it: 1. they're holding off for another feature to add to the next gen iPhone like 3G, 2. AT&T won't allow it because all the downloading would jam up the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sounds like a weak dodge for not offering iTunes on the phone. What's the risk of downloading to the phone?? The only risk I can see is if the phone is very unstable and crashes like Win '98. Plus the comment on being poor for discovering new content is just ridiculous.

I honestly am in shock that this device that "reinvents the phone" with "real OS X" won't have direct download. Then again, I can't believe it's not going to be 3G. Two possible reasons why they won't do it: 1. they're holding off for another feature to add to the next gen iPhone like 3G, 2. AT&T won't allow it because all the downloading would jam up the network.

Go read the article itself. It sheds more light on much of this, especially the part about bandwidth. Jobs specifically says they are out to take advantage of the new bandwidth availability for streaming video etc.

I agree with the part about being poor for discovery. My Palm Treo has a bigger screen than most cell phones and can get full web pages. It's somewhat underwhelming for web surfing or doing a lot of that sort of stuff. Even with the Opera Browser for it, it's not all they want you to believe it is.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Go read the article itself. It sheds more light on much of this, especially the part about bandwidth. Jobs specifically says they are out to take advantage of the new bandwidth availability for streaming video etc.

I agree with the part about being poor for discovery. My Palm Treo has a bigger screen than most cell phones and can get full web pages. It's somewhat underwhelming for web surfing or doing a lot of that sort of stuff. Even with the Opera Browser for it, it's not all they want you to believe it is.

I'm going to third that. The iPhone probably has the biggest screen of any phone available to date. It would be so nice to be able to hop on iTunes and buy a song after you hear it on the radio. The iPhone seems to be a rushed project, although they are really sinking their manpower into making it good. I'm with you guys, I think they're holding out for 3G to do more wireless downloading type of applications like buying music.

Just imagine sitting in a doctor's office and being able to hit up the iTMS to download the latest Pirates movie to watch while you wait. I'm not a huge impulse buyer, but I have a few $6 Verizon games on my cell phone from times when I was really bored and desperately wanted some entertainment when I was away from home. I think he's right though, 3G is being under-utilized. Verizon already has a 5gb cap on their EVDO, but other than surfing the net while hooked up to your laptop, how much data can you really process on such a little device? The Treo is about the only thing that has a decent screen out there (along with the Blackberries, maybe). I see a lot of good things down the road for the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I just can't imagine that they'll never have iTunes on the phone. I don't buy much content from iTunes, but I can't count how many times I've heard a sang I really like and planned to download it when I got home, only to forget about it completely. Spontaneous purchases on the iPhone would be a big addition to iTunes sales.

If they could just get something like that new TV service like verizon has, or at least a way to use slingbox to channel TV. Talk about an uber-media device!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.