• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Compression of avi's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD
hey guys, im still a windows user (don't hate me, im making the switch soon), and i was wondering if anyone knows how i can compress my avis to fit on a dvd. my situation is that i have a season 5 of seinfeld as avis, and it all wont fit on there, and i really dont want to waste two dvds by having only one episode on the second dvd. if anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated!:D

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anyone? please? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
anyone? please? lol

Toast titanium will probably do it - you can set the bitrates etc when you record, so I'd imagine of you just need it 5 - 10% smaller you could just cut the quality a little.

I guess that's how it works, but maybe a vid expert can confirm that it would shrink the files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
AVIs are already compressed. So you'd have to re-encode them at a lower bitrate as jonnyd said.

But AVI is just a wrapper, not a codec. What codec are you using? The best for your situation would be XviD, DivX, or H.264 MP4.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
any programs for windows?, i'll try googling it tho!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
DivX... Xvid... =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.