• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gibson 335 set up

Reaction score
Hi. I've got my Gibson 335 out of my Mother in Law's loft to plug into my Mac. It works great with GarageBand, but I reckon it could do with setting up. Does anyone know of a decent website offering details of how to do this?

Cheers.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
What do you reckon the action should be on the E-strings at the 12th fret? My bottom E's 4mm, top E seems to be about 2mm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Heya :)

It really coes depend on playing style and what feels comfortable.

Personally i set the action as low as possible, without ANY fret buzz occuring, this can take some time ( I typically spend around 3 to 4 hours adjusting and testing) but the results can be amazing.

~~ TS ~~

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Heya :)

It really coes depend on playing style and what feels comfortable.

Personally i set the action as low as possible, without ANY fret buzz occuring, this can take some time ( I typically spend around 3 to 4 hours adjusting and testing) but the results can be amazing.

~~ TS ~~

Agreed completely. I keep it as low as possible with no buzzing at all. But like TS said, it's up to you and what feels right and works best for you and your playing style.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
I don't play much above the 12th fret so I've lowered it as far as it'll go. It'd go a lower if the G-string didn't catch one of the higher frets.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't play much above the 12th fret so I've lowered it as far as it'll go. It'd go a lower if the G-string didn't catch one of the higher frets.

Do you know how old that 335 is? That is one of my favorite Guitars to play Blues on. I really love the old Dot Necks and the 335's from the Mid to Late 60's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
335s are amazing guitars :D I must say im fairly jelous :D

Saying that, I <3 my ibanez along with my custom "Fender" which has just been refinished. (post pictures later)

How are you getting on with the 335 anyway MartinS? If its not been stored very well, you may find the neck isnt very straight, if this is true, you will need to do some truss rod adjustments. (this will also help you on your conquest for nice action)

~~ TS ~~

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
I tried to find out how old it was some years ago, but it's very difficult with Gibsons, as they apparently used the same serial numbers many times for different guitars. I think it's from the early 70s, so not the prime era, but it's very "me". I bought it for about £700 back in 1989 when I was in a band; I haven't got a clue what it might be worth now.

It's been stored in a hard case, so I think it's fairly sound. See photo...

Screenshot_1.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beautiful Instrument.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Thanks. I have a Roland JC 120 I used to put it through, although it's pretty beaten up now. I'm having fun with GarageBand, but it's not like playing live.

Reaction score
My favourite guitarist, Larry Carlton, was playing a 335 when I discovered him many moons ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just had a look at the Roland JC120, Looks really nice :D although also has a nice pricetag :p

(£632)

~~ TS ~~

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My favourite guitarist, Larry Carlton, was playing a 335 when I discovered him many moons ago.

Another fan of Larry Carlton. I have been listening to him for many years. Saw a Jam recently with Larry and Lee Ritenour. Amazing. They were doing Room 335 of all tunes! :D

Reaction score
You are sooooo lucky~! I have been a fan since about 1978, but I didn't see his fingers move until about 1995! It was on a video of his but it was a treat nonetheless! He is amazing beyond all amazingness. I have so many LP's of his including the first Larry Carlton Singing/Playing. I'd love to see him play live. I did see Lee Ritenour and Robben Ford though and they were awesome.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are sooooo lucky~! I have been a fan since about 1978, but I didn't see his fingers move until about 1995! It was on a video of his but it was a treat nonetheless! He is amazing beyond all amazingness. I have so many LP's of his including the first Larry Carlton Singing/Playing. I'd love to see him play live. I did see Lee Ritenour and Robben Ford though and they were awesome.

Do a search on You Tube some time. Found a lot of Larry, and Lee there.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Just had a look at the Roland JC120, Looks really nice :D although also has a nice pricetag :p

(£632)

~~ TS ~~

Mine's lost the wheels and the handle, and has many other scrapes – from the previous owner, I should point out, not me, as I bought it second hand. In fact I swapped it for a 600-watt Peavey that had more knobs on it than the space shuttle and was just way too loud.

Great gear, not a great guitarist, I'm afraid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.