Before I take the plunge...

Reaction score
So i've rearranged my Mac purchase for the hundredth time it feels now, and before I lay down the cash for a BlacBook, I need a couple questions answered.

I noticed no Multimedia Card Reader on the MacBook, what do you guys reccomend using? The USB cable is a real burden to travel with.

Coming from a Windows world, all my data is NTFS of course. I have a external harddrive that is NTFS, and I want to use it as my medium between a desktop PC and Macbook. Will the Macbook be able to pull files off the NTFS drive? And is there a better method for sharing between my XP desktop and Macbook?

Whats the average battery life of the Macbook while under average use? Also are there any alternative to it, or second party high capacity batteries I could purchase?

I plan on hooking the MacBook up to both an external display, and sound system while i'm at home. Whats the max resolution of the mini-dvi out on the Macbook? Also does the optical mini jack out support surround sound?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
So i've rearranged my Mac purchase for the hundredth time it feels now, and before I lay down the cash for a BlacBook, I need a couple questions answered.

I noticed no Multimedia Card Reader on the MacBook, what do you guys reccomend using? The USB cable is a real burden to travel with.

Coming from a Windows world, all my data is NTFS of course. I have a external harddrive that is NTFS, and I want to use it as my medium between a desktop PC and Macbook. Will the Macbook be able to pull files off the NTFS drive? And is there a better method for sharing between my XP desktop and Macbook?

Whats the average battery life of the Macbook while under average use? Also are there any alternative to it, or second party high capacity batteries I could purchase?

I plan on hooking the MacBook up to both an external display, and sound system while i'm at home. Whats the max resolution of the mini-dvi out on the Macbook? Also does the optical mini jack out support surround sound?

I believe Macs will work with NFTS drives. There is a better way - just buy an ethernet cable and hook your Mac up to your PC or router..

Fraid i cant answer the rest

OP
Nicholi
Reaction score
I believe Macs will work with NFTS drives. There is a better way - just buy an ethernet cable and hook your Mac up to your PC or router..

Fraid i cant answer the rest

Well its a wireless/wired router, so i'm going to presume I could do that wirelessly.

Anyone have a link to a tutorial on how that works?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Well its a wireless/wired router, so i'm going to presume I could do that wirelessly.

Anyone have a link to a tutorial on how that works?

i dont have a tutorial but its the easiest thing in the world. you just click the little AirPort icon in the top right corner of the screen and click 'turn on AirPort', then you wait for it to find your wireless network, select it and voila!

OP
Nicholi
Reaction score
i dont have a tutorial but its the easiest thing in the world. you just click the little AirPort icon in the top right corner of the screen and click 'turn on AirPort', then you wait for it to find your wireless network, select it and voila!

Haha, I meant (thanks though) actually networking it with my PC so I can access files on it and the external hooked to it.

At least I learned how to turn on and off airport though hehe... ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I use a USB jump-drive looking thing that has a slot in the side that accepts 7 different kinds of media cards. Was $20 at CompUSA.

As was previously stated, if both machines are going to be on all the time, the easiest solution here is to turn on Windows file sharing on your new Mac, connect both machines to the same router at home, and share files that way. However, you could also connect the NTFS drive via USB to your Mac, transfer all files over, then reformat the drive to FAT32, then replace the files. Both Macs and Windows machines can read AND write to FAT32, but only windows machines can write to NTFS. By using ethernet cables or wifi internet, you get around this inconvenience.

Unless you plan on going 5+ hours without access to a charger, the stock battery will do you just fine. During normal use, such as word processing, web browsing, etc., you can expect close to 4-5 hours of battery time. Just make sure that you set your power parameters for battery use to "maximize battery life".

I don't know what the maximum output for the mini-DVI jack is, but I know it is greater than the actual MacBook display, so you won't have any issues there.
As for the Digital Out, it is a true digital signal, supporting 5.1 (maybe even 7.1?) output. Plug into a digital processor or sound card with surround speakers, and you'll be set.
Although, I have a solution that works out VERY nicely. I have the Toshiba Media Dock from my previous laptop (Windows, eew). It connects using a single USB cable, and a power connection to a wall outlet. With that, I get a 4 port USB hub on the back (say for external HDD storage, I have 2), and 5.1 channel sound output built-in. That way, when I dock at home on my desk, I don't have to plug in 2 USB cables and a sound cable...just one USB does the trick.

Welcome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.