buffer problems burning back ups

P

parbuster69

I have an iMac G4 1 gb 256ram with super drive and I encounter buffer underrun problems when burning CD & DVD back ups zith toast. I have a nice coaster collection and am losing patience.:mad: Could someone please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
do you use toast 6? if so thats the common problem with this app. burn through the finder or disc utility. I never use toast unless I have to

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have never had a problem with Toast 6, but I do have 768 MB or RAM.

OP
S

spinhead79@msn.

what works for me

parbuster69 said:
I have an iMac G4 1 gb 256ram with super drive and I encounter buffer underrun problems when burning CD & DVD back ups zith toast. I have a nice coaster collection and am losing patience.:mad: Could someone please help.
I've run in to this problem and I've found that you need to make sure toast under run protection is on...yes that no kidding...anyway.I'm using the Plextor ExTERNAL Drive 716 works pretty good and a fire wire port. And when you close the disk tray it can make the underrun protection to turn off. so its important not to check (show the record setting before burning)
I got about 20 coaster tring to firgure this out.

OP
S

sivp

Whats with toast?

I dont get whats soo good about Toast, cant you just drag and drop intot he finder and burn away.

I understand for dvd movies etc, you need programs. i.e. DVD studio pro 3

but why spend money on toast when you can just drag and drop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you have to have buffer underrun prevention turned on. buffer under run occurs when you are burning at a speed, say 52x or whatever, and you have lots of other stuff open, or just dont have much ram, and your computer isnt feeding the info to toast as fast as toast is trying to burn it, and you get a buffer under run error.

OP
A

aphid47

G5 DVD burn problems

okay, I'm fairly new at the whole DVD copy/backup thing, but first here is my info:

1.8Ghz Power PC G5
256MB RAM
20inch screen
superdrive

How I learned to do the whole DVD copy thing:

1. Mactheripper
2. DVD2ONEX with disk imager
3. Burn the disk image in Disk Utility

At first everything worked fine, The disks played in all the players I tried and looked great, I was using Sony DVD-R 1x-8x, Then I switched to Memorex DVD-R up to 8x, and then back to Sony. On the latest spindle of Sony disks, 80% of the pack of 50 have been ruined with the **** buffer underrun thing, so my question is what gives? Can it be the sony disks? They worked fine to start with. Is it just this spindle of disks? Or is it the **** superdrive? Someone please help, I can't be the only one experiencing this. Everyone else seems to have the problem in toast, and I'm not using other apps. when burning the DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
aphid I deleted your 3 other posts because you already posted it in this thread which is on your topic and we don't allow double posting.

Problem seems to me like you have too many programs running at once with not enough RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
first, you should be using toast to burn, or a similiar app, like firestarter, in toast, you can use buffer underrun prevention, you can also try burning t a slower speed, with no processor intensive apps running.

OP
A

aphid47

trpnmonkey41 said:
aphid I deleted your 3 other posts because you already posted it in this thread which is on your topic and we don't allow double posting.

Problem seems to me like you have too many programs running at once with not enough RAM

sorry about the double posting, I only have one app running at a time if you read my post closely, just disk utility, if I try to change the burn speed on disk utility it is greyed out and won't allow changes. Does anyone else backup DVD's using the method I use? I have no problems usually it's just in the last spindle of disks that it has started doing this

OP
A

aphid47

Macman said:
first, you should be using toast to burn, or a similiar app, like firestarter, in toast, you can use buffer underrun prevention, you can also try burning t a slower speed, with no processor intensive apps running.

can I take the disk image i've made in DVD2ONEX and burn it in toast? Also, the buffer underrun is the problem, so If I use toast I can circumvent the buffer underrun protection and thereby disable it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.