desktop pictures - shrink-to-fit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X
I'm a newbie switcher. I set up my desktop to change pictures every 5 seconds which makes for a nice slideshow. Unfortunately, I've found no "shrink-to-fit" screen option....just "center", "tile", etc. This leaves many of the pictures cut off (mostly top & bottom on my widescreen monitor, but occassionally on the sides, too). Is there a "shrink-to-fit" option avalable? How do I access it?
Thanks.
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver

You'd want to have "fill screen." That'll stretch the image to fill the screen.

picture3fw4.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X
That's fine if the picture is smaller than the screen but doesn't shrink to fit if the picture is too big.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
That's fine if the picture is smaller than the screen but doesn't shrink to fit if the picture is too big.
Yes it does.
I've got a couple wallpaers that are 1600x1200, 1200x900.
Choose "center", then "stretch to fill"..that should do the trick.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X
I don't see an option to do both. I'm using "center". "Stretch to fill" grossly distorts the picture proportions. Did I mention I'm using a 22-inch widescreen monitor? Perhaps stretch to fill is OK on a 4:3 monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
I don't see an option to do both. I'm using "center". "Stretch to fill" grossly distorts the picture proportions. Did I mention I'm using a 22-inch widescreen monitor? Perhaps stretch to fill is OK on a 4:3 monitor.

If Macs are less stable on either ratio, its 4:3! Mac has natively supported widescreen since 2005. Apple doesn't even make 4:3 screens anymore.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X
Oops. It's actually a 20-inch screen.not that that matters. So I'm still left with either "center" (tops & bottoms cut off) or "stretch to fill" which grossly distorts the pictures.

Reaction score
I have a couple of pix that are too big to fit. Fill screen doesn't work with them, either, and I'm too lazy to shrink them with Photoshop.

Wake me up when supper's ready. *Snore.*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.