I did not know TextEdit could do that! (Or, 'Take THAT Wordpad.exe!')

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
So I edit quite a number of text files, and since I'm an ancient UNIX geek, about 70% of the time I'll use Terminal.app and vi to edit any given text file.

The rest of the time I'll find it more convenient (and Macs are all about convenience, right?) to double-click the file in the Finder window I've opened to it thus opening the default app, TextEdit. Every now and then I'll cross my editors and forget that I'm NOT in vi and hit the escape key after entering my edits. Most of the time I was using TextEdit the cursor was not next to some text, or otherwise, and I'd get the little 'boop' which usually means 'you did something meaningless' but this time I had the cursor next to a number, and it popped up a little menu of possible word completions!

I guess all those other times I had the cursor next to whitespace or a punctuation character and the little 'boop' was TextEdit not coming up with any completions; not 'you are not in vi dummy'.

I've been using TextEdit for 2.5 years off and on now, and never knew it could do that! Ah yes, it's the little things that make using a Mac that much more pleasant. Can Wordpad or Notepad do that? Don't know, don't care.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, wordpad and notepad for windows were nice and light, but generally very stripped down. i still use textpad when using windows. much better program.

Reaction score
Hello walkerj, eric & kilo15 -

I'm new to computers & new to the forum and I've been searching for how
to use TextEdit with white text & black 'paper' -

Changing the text color is EZ as cake - but how might one flop the background color from white to black?

I'm stumped - It's probably REALLY easy - too

sorry to change the topic of your thread - you're the first TextEdit folkies
I've seen - Any thoughts?

jmpk <"!">

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
yeah, wordpad and notepad for windows were nice and light, but generally very stripped down. i still use textpad when using windows. much better program.

I also use TextPad when I am in Windows. Been a favorite of mine for years. On OSX TextEdit for most stuff and TextWrangler if I need more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.