Just Switched and....

F

FaceToFace85

WOW! I just switched. I bought a used powerbook G4 from a good friend of mine. He only had it for 6 months, and wanted to get rid of it so he could buy a G5.

Anyways, I love my mac to death! I hate having to reboot windows every 30 minutes because of some **** spyware problem(even though I clean out my comp everyday)

The problem I am having is this.
I want to restore it to factory settings. To get rid of everything he has on here, including passwords etc. But everytime I put in the OS X install disk and run through the set up screen. It wont let fully install. it says its because I am using a newer version than what is trying to be installed.

So how do I install without getting that message???
I know this is a n00b question, but please help!!! :confused: ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The installer should have options to "Archive and install" (save a copy of your old OS configuration and install a new one) and "Erase and install" (blow all files away and install.)

You will, of course, have to run Software Update afterward to bring yourself back up to date.

OP
F

FaceToFace85

technologist said:
The installer should have options to "Archive and install" (save a copy of your old OS configuration and install a new one) and "Erase and install" (blow all files away and install.)

You will, of course, have to run Software Update afterward to bring yourself back up to date.

Those choices are supposed to be in the options menu of the "select a destination" of the install. But I cant click on the "options" button to select "erase and install"

Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You should be able to insert the CD
Close out the window that pops up
Restart the Computer
Hold down the C key as soon as the computer begins to turn back on
This will boot from CD
You should be able to select the Erase and Install

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.