Do the Default bought MacBook only one Partition?

Reaction score
Dear all Macer,

Do the Default bought MacBook only one Partition?

If so, how to repartition to two or three partition?

I want to

1 Partition for OS X
1 Partition for save the artwork (Do it possibile MAC and PC also can access)
1 Partition for install the Windows XP under MAC ...

And how to step by step, I am Mac newbie and will buy a total new Macbook soon.

Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey Explorer,

If you are thinking of a Partition for running Windows XP, then u might be thinking about Boot Camp. Here is a Link That explains all about Boot Camp.

The other 2 am not sure about.

Cheers

Reaction score
The Mac's OS is loaded on to a single partition as default.

To create several partitions, you have to erase and reinstall the OS, which is pretty simple. Just place in Tiger disc 1, reboot while pressing the C key. Then, click disk utilities, erase, and choose partition creating however many partitions you'd like. Then, load the OS on the partition of your choice.

That's it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The Mac's OS is loaded on to a single partition as default.

To create several partitions, you have to erase and reinstall the OS, which is pretty simple. Just place in Tiger disc 1, reboot while pressing the C key. Then, click disk utilities, erase, and choose partition creating however many partitions you'd like. Then, load the OS on the partition of your choice.

That's it!

:|

Uh, there are disk ultilities out there that will partition a drive without you having to format or reinstall the OS. You should probably reccomend those before telling people to reinstall their OS's

Reaction score
:|

Uh, there are disk ultilities out there that will partition a drive without you having to format or reinstall the OS. You should probably reccomend those before telling people to reinstall their OS's

If that's true, you are certainly correct! I didn't know they existed. To my understanding, you can't "partition" the hard-drive where the OS is installed.

What programs would you suggest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
If that's true, you are certainly correct! I didn't know they existed. To my understanding, you can't "partition" the hard-drive where the OS is installed.

What programs would you suggest?

There was a forum that popped up with three or four big ones for OS X. I don't think any were freeware, but there may be something out there. Just search for OS X partitioning.

Also, bootcamp's partion "program" can create and remove partitions without having to format the original partition. Disk utility does...and isn't a very good choice.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thx for all, I think I will choose the earse and reinstall way, since newbie better learn from zone is a good start point.

OP
E
Reaction score
Do MacBook can read & write file to NTFS Partition?

Dear all Macer,

Do MacBook can read & write file to NTFS Partition? Since on this Sunday I will buy one, but I also need the Windows XP Professional SP2 install on this Mac for company join the Domain Enviroment ....

Just I am trouble the Mac OS X (I mean booted to the Mac OS X, not booted to the XP environment) do the Mac OS X default can read and write the Windows Partition that formated with NTFS?

Thank for your time.

Reaction score
Nope. Macs can not write to a local NTFS volume. They can read it, but not write to it. But I am not sure I understand your question, are you asking about a network directory that is formatted in NTFS? That is a totally different situation. Macs can read/write to a shared NTFS directory.

OP
E
Reaction score
For my side, Just two type of Application

1. Boot to the Mac OS X, (Boot Camp installed a or Vista/XP on other Partition), want to read or write to this NTFS partiton from Mac OS X

2. Boot to the Vista/ XP while press the "Alt" key on boot up ... This XP/Vista joined a Windows Domain, and like the gerenal using in Office, access the network share resource.

Reaction score
Thx for all, I think I will choose the earse and reinstall way, since newbie better learn from zone is a good start point.

This is the first thing I did once I got my new Mac. I partitioned installing only the programs I had wanted.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There was a forum that popped up with three or four big ones for OS X. I don't think any were freeware, but there may be something out there. Just search for OS X partitioning.

Also, bootcamp's partion "program" can create and remove partitions without having to format the original partition. Disk utility does...and isn't a very good choice.

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php is one that I'm aware of.

Also, I believe the only way you can install Windows is via Bootcamp, because there are some tweaks that have to happen to EFI to get Windows to actually be bootable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.