Why the hatred towards Mac users??

Reaction score
I recieved my iMac on Friday and hastily set it up. Upon surfing the web, I was doing a search for Mac related sites to try and soak up as much information as I can.

In the midst of my search, I had ran across several sites that were down right crude towards Mac users. I can understand having a passion for something, but several of the lowlife PC owners cross the line.

-Seann

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I find that most PC users who cross the line are jealous or feel threatened. Especially lately Mac is doing well and M$ has laid a few bombs. Clearly Apple is on the rise with popularity, and this argument of Windows versus Mac will continue.

Reaction score
Personally i think it is down to ignorance. The average PC user doesn't have a clue how much more user friendly (even with all the changes made in vista, which incidentally in my opinion is rubbish at best) a mac is than the PC is.

If everyone took the time to actually sit down and look at a mac then they would realise jst how good they are. I mean i am looking at swapping from my sony vaio onto a mac book pro in the very near future. I spent 30 minutes being shown round a mac book pro yesterday by a very relaxed expert (i would say they are experts not sales people as there is no hard sell at all just fantastic amounts of knowledge) and what got me above anything else was the shear number of people packed in the store. I have never seen anyone get that excited over a pc thats for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
To be honest, I think there's more criticism on the net of Microsoft and PCs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
in my experience most people who blast macs are simply ignorant to them. The only exposure they have to macs are 6 year old systems running an old OS in their schools library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM

especially since vista came out and Apple switched to intel processors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Wow, you can tell they are all spoiled little kids that don't know much about computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I can't read much more than the first page without feeling dumber than when I started....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Ignorance, indeed as has been posted. Apple does have a sort of well deserved reputation for past 'smugness' back in the last days of OS9, when their hardware was overpriced and the OS was getting really long in the tooth.

Since then, they have become competitive in price, and the definition of innovation as far as the OS, the software, and the GUI interface. Long held reputation is difficult to shed, however.

One thing you will find over time of being a Mac user is that when you encounter hateful Windows users and issues with Windows (Vista, viruses, spyware, etc.) you simply will not care.

They don't affect you anymore. Other than the usual problems that any computer can have hardware wise, you'll be happily using your computer to do cool things. Those that fail to open their minds will no longer matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I think it's like everything. You have some people that are just vocal and don't like Macs. I had a friend that hated Firefox and loved IE. Why? No idea. But he was all about Microsoft. For the most part though (being a recent switcher) everyone I've ever known has been middle of the road, neither hating or loving PCs and Macs. They were familiar with PCs so that's what they stayed with. It's that way with cars, computers, politics, anything really.

Reaction score
Some of the blame can be shouldered by "Mac snobs"...come on you we've seen them. I had a few mac friends call me stupid for using a PC, and they had a better then thou attitude. While they were right about the Mac being a better system the message they delivered got lost in the way they delivered it. Also some people realy get caught up in brand loyalty look at all the pick-up trucks with calvin peeing on another brand of truck stickers. I really try to show the good things about macs and not dwell on bashing the windows platform. I also look at it from a pure market share stance and say as much as people dislike windows they seem to have found away to sell ALOT of copies of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
SOme of the biggest PC fans I know of don't so much hate mac's more they don't prefer them because it uses an OS they know little about and the fact the the hardware is lacking the flexibility they need for the cost they want.

To be fair I can't blame them, there are some distinct advantages to the PC way in terms of options available, that plus they love the fact that almost all software is available for the Windows OS and that really makes them comfortable with what they have.

While I've shown them around OSX and what it can do, they are interested and like what they see, it's just it will take a while before they switch if they ever do. Two things I have to say about that. No 1, like a revolution unless things go really bad it just doesn't happen at all. No 2, with Vista as of recent they are starting to look around to alternatives be it OSX or Linux.

Reaction score
Most of the people that I have encountered that blast macs are mainly gamers, especially PC gamers. When I use to be heavily into PC games I use to hear on a regular basis how macs sucked for games. I believe if you want to play PC games then do it on a PC. But for everything else macs are way more superior to a windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Most of the people that I have encountered that blast macs are mainly gamers, especially PC gamers. When I use to be heavily into PC games I use to hear on a regular basis how macs sucked for games.

And as we all know when it comes to gamers, if it sucks for games, then it just plain sucks!

Like, for example, my toaster oven. It really sucks for games, therefore Black & Decker sucks! :D

My Macbook does not make very good toast, so as a toaster oven, it...wait, I think I forgot the point of my example.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Amazing thread Yogi. I guess I better stop using Safari because mine has Tabs. Must have a problem! :D

I love my One Button in the OS mouse too.

It's one thing to HATE Apple, but it's another thing to Blatantly LIE.

Edit, The one post did it for me MAC - Media Access Controller). Media Access Controller's do not have Tabbed Browsing nor Mice either! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
My guess is that Apple can fairly be accused of being somewhat smug about their products. Witness the "Hi, I'm a Mac ..." ads. They portray PCs in very unflattering ways, and are an almost intentional caricature. The truth (as always) lies somewhere in the middle. I ran PCs for lots of years, and they are not as bad as the ads make out. Macs are better, no question, but PCs are quite workable.

In short, I suspect that many PC users are simply put off by Mac user's superiority complex. The "Hi, I am a Mac..." ads are funny as h-e-l-l (personally I LOVE them!), but I could see them backfiring in the minds of people who are long time PC users.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My guess is that Apple can fairly be accused of being somewhat smug about their products. Witness the "Hi, I'm a Mac ..." ads. They portray PCs in very unflattering ways, and are an almost intentional caricature. The truth (as always) lies somewhere in the middle. I ran PCs for lots of years, and they are not as bad as the ads make out. Macs are better, no question, but PCs are quite workable.

In short, I suspect that many PC users are simply put off by Mac user's superiority complex. The "Hi, I am a Mac..." ads are funny as h-e-l-l (personally I LOVE them!), but I could see them backfiring in the minds of people who are long time PC users.

Well said and agreed. I get a laugh at the adds also but a lot of them go a bit overboard. XP is not that bad.

I don't like Lie's. On either side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

By a mile :D

I have been known to troll Mac users, and PC users in various forums, and the reaction really depends where you are.

If you go to a forum full of PC gamers, and tell them how great you Mac is, you'll get the biggest flame war you've ever seen. They're all like, 15 years old and they'll genuinely hate you.

But they're extremes. There are some real Mac zealots about too. I saw a link to a thread in a forum a few years back where some guy pretended he had taken the guts out of a G5 (which had only just been launched), and put a P4 in it, and was running Windows.

He actually got death threats for that. Funny stuff.

The thing is, it's always an imbalanced argument. Even moreso now - Windows has always been about the software. Mac is about hardware as well. Now we're all starting to run Intel chips, it's *only* about hardware.

I use both. I have never really seen a huge difference between Windows and OSX. They're both competent PC operating systems, they both fall over now and then, there's not much to choose. But hardwarewise, Mac has always been head and shoulders above just about anything else on the market.

Anyway, nowadays as there is some fraternity between the Mac and MS camps, we should all do the right thing and troll Linux users.

Did I say that out loud?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.