Purchasing a MacBook

Reaction score
Hey! I'm interested in purchasing a Macbook in the next 2 months or so. Is there any advantage to waiting until WWDC? Given the brand new processor specs, is there any advantage to waiting until summer for price drops or tech improvements? If the rumor is correct, when could one expect the macbooks with LED 15'4 screens?

Many Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey! I'm interested in purchasing a Macbook in the next 2 months or so. Is there any advantage to waiting until WWDC? Given the brand new processor specs, is there any advantage to waiting until summer for price drops or tech improvements? If the rumor is correct, when could one expect the macbooks with LED 15'4 screens?

Many Thanks!

Apple is infamous for being tight-lipped. Rumors are constantly circulating, usually fairly inaccurate. So, no one knows for sure but Apple.

The LED backlight is a fairly new technology - and the quality of the display can be dramatically impacted by the consistency of the backlight. Personally, it's not something I'd be willing to gamble on in its first generation of implementation.

If you need a new machine now, just buy it. If you're always waiting for what's "just around the corner", you'll be waiting forever. Technology changes constantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I agree, Apple is a bit notorious for not getting things right the first time around. I would wait till the second generation of LED screens if you really want that. Though you might end up waiting a while as nobody knows when the first generation of these screens will be released, let alone the second.

cwa is correct in the waiting thing. The only thing worth waiting for is the student buying season where Apple will throw in an iPod Nano or something along those lines. But as for hardware upgrades or price drops in the near future, your guess is as good as anybody's.

Reaction score

Many Thanks!

Well, i was in your exact position 2 days ago, but i felt that current machines are very capable of handling today´s work load. I realy enjoy Mac OS x and i was forced to go back to Windows because the software i used in my office was Windows only. I just finished my instalation of Win XP Pro and it works really well in Parallels ( snappy i would say). The machine i bought is a MacBook Pro 15.4".
I would recomend that you don´t wait for any particular technology... buy a Mac as soon as you can afford it.

Reaction score
I will play devils advocate...if you are looking at getting a Mac Book Pro I would wait a bit the high end macbooks now have the same processors as the low-end MBP's, and I don't think it will stay that way for long. Also apple doesn't have alot to show at WWDC with the iPhone already annouced, apple TV being out, 8-core mac pros, and leopard being delayed. I would say that apple may have to surprise the crowd with something, and what better to show to developers then a new mac book "PRO". I think the LED screen will be there, and a little spec bump. I just think that the missing gap between the macbook and MBP that we currently have will have apple missing out on some money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Many Thanks!

If you have two months to wait... then you've answered your own question. It is definitely worth it to wait for WWDC. See what new models will bring, I think we are all fairly certain at this point new MBP's will be released then, and if you don't want to gamble on new technology such as LED's or whatever they may bring, Apple stores will have plenty of the current models in stock to still grab a hold of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS

Many Thanks!

If you are talking MB, then since it was just updated with faster processor and large HD, it will not get another update for a year or so. Now is a good time to buy. The MBP is another matter. Worth waiting for WWDC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.