My Printing Situation.

Reaction score
hello guys. how are yall? i have a problem here. i just got my macbook about one month ago which i switched from a dell, i sold that system and kept my dell aio 924 printer. i now know that dell printers are not supported by mac. so here is my problem. i can live with logging into windows from bootcamp and printing from there. i have too question here. when i tried to install the printer it was asking for the windows disk for a file, should i insert it? i also dont want to install word, and all the programs i would print to since i only gave it 17 gigs. so im guessing with a pdf program i could just pdf it and email it to me and just print there. does anyone one recomend anything? any help would be appriciated. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Im going to assume this printer is usb since thats what most of them are, just plug the printer in and open system preferences. In system prefs go to print and fax, then click the + sign by the left window and try to find the dell printer. Add that printer and see if you can print, sometimes you dont need drivers to print, you can just use the generic ones that come on your computer. If this doesnt work hopefully somebody knows another way of doing it, especially if there arent any drivers.

Reaction score
Just a thought here. urely Dell doesn't make printers so it is likely a standard brand re-badged. Have a look online at printers and see if you identify it and use drived for for that printer.

I suppose you have checked th Dell site for Mac drivers have you?

OP
D
Reaction score
Just a thought here. urely Dell doesn't make printers so it is likely a standard brand re-badged. Have a look online at printers and see if you identify it and use drived for for that printer.

I suppose you have checked th Dell site for Mac drivers have you?

Yeah i have been looking for about a week and nothing. it really gets me mad that they do this. . any one know any good cheap mac printers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Every brand, except Dell!
Canon are good though in my experience.

Lexmark make Dell's printer though apparently.

Reaction score
I get the feeling that Dell has no support for the Mac on purpose.

Either way, I have a HP all in one printer. It came with two install disc, a PC and Mac one. But I think the Mac one was for OS 9, so that must mean a Mac can support a HP out of the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
thanks, will try that. do you know of a good pdf maker?

It's kind of odd (IMO).. but do this...

FILE>>>PRINT... the print dialog will pop-up... in the lower left corner of the window there is a button with a small arrow that says "PDF"... click that... then click "Save as PDF".

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks ride. will do that. if i get parralels, will the dell driver work on the xp part. basicly, what i am asking is the printer not compatible with osx or mac hardware. thanks for the help guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you could pick up a new nice printer for a lot cheaper then you could get a copy of windows and parallels

OP
D
Reaction score
thats true, but i already have boot camp with xp. so i just need parralels. can i print from windows in bootcamp to my dell printer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.