External HD and iPhoto

Reaction score
every time i hook up my external hd to my macbook, iphoto starts up and thinks my external is basically a digital camera. needless to say it's annoying to have to quit iphoto every time. anyone know a way to make it stop?

thanks

RCh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 2GHz C2D 3Gb RAM 160 HDD; Macbook 2.2GHz; 4Gb RAM 160 HDD
every time i hook up my external hd to my macbook, iphoto starts up and thinks my external is basically a digital camera. needless to say it's annoying to have to quit iphoto every time. anyone know a way to make it stop?

thanks

It seems that when you plug the drive the system detects images on it and assumes it's a camera. In the iPhoto preferences there's an option labled "Start iPhoto when camera is connected" or something to that effect. Turn it off.
Sorry can't tell you more precisely, since I'm currently at work with my PC laptop.

OP
G
Reaction score
i appreciate your help but that option doesnt seem to be anywhere under preferences. although i am relatively new to mac i am pretty computer literate and that was the first place i looked when i first got my external. thanks again, perhaps i'm missing something still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
It seems that when you plug the drive the system detects images on it and assumes it's a camera. In the iPhoto preferences there's an option labled "Start iPhoto when camera is connected" or something to that effect. Turn it off.
Sorry can't tell you more precisely, since I'm currently at work with my PC laptop.

I think there maybe some confusion here. There is no such Preference in iPhoto.(Not that I've found anyway) However there is one in the app Image Capture which I use for my camera you can set it to no action when connected there... Maybe it's set to start iPhoto (An option)

I hope it helps

Reaction score
That's a viable solution, but I wonder... now if he *does* connect a camera, iPhoto won't start up. It's not a calamity, but sure show that OS X's way of detecting and defining a "camera" isn't really good. In simple English, it sucks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.