mac partitioning?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
on my windows computer i have three partitions:

1: Windows Xp
2: Ubuntu
3: Data where i keep everything

Is this sort of thing done with Mac so that you can use all files with each OS?

Can bootcamp install more than just Windows and OSX? Can it install 3 OS's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yes, it can though I don't. Instead I got Parallels desktop which allows you to install/run just about any OS that runs on Intel but within OS X. In other words, Parallels allows you to run Windows XP, Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc. in a window while still being able to run OS X. In fact, you can also tell Parallels to run full screen, or even this 'coherence' mode where the Windows/Linux applications display without displaying the desktop of the 'guest OS'. On my Macbook I have two 'virtual machines' one of which is Windows XP, the other Ubuntu. No partitioning required either; each virtual machine's 'partition' is just a file on your Mac drive. No rebooting of OS X is required, and you transfer files by dragging them to the window in which the guest OS is running.

Granted, Parallels costs $79US, but really worth it if you want the best of all worlds. BootCamp lets you do the same for free, but you have to reboot into each OS. Parallels will also let you use a BootCamp partition for your guest OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Yes, it can though I don't. Instead I got Parallels desktop which allows you to install/run just about any OS that runs on Intel but within OS X. In other words, Parallels allows you to run Windows XP, Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc. in a window while still being able to run OS X. In fact, you can also tell Parallels to run full screen, or even this 'coherence' mode where the Windows/Linux applications display without displaying the desktop of the 'guest OS'. On my Macbook I have two 'virtual machines' one of which is Windows XP, the other Ubuntu. No partitioning required either; each virtual machine's 'partition' is just a file on your Mac drive. No rebooting of OS X is required, and you transfer files by dragging them to the window in which the guest OS is running.

Granted, Parallels costs $79US, but really worth it if you want the best of all worlds. BootCamp lets you do the same for free, but you have to reboot into each OS. Parallels will also let you use a BootCamp partition for your guest OS.

Dont forget that parallels DOES NOT have video card support. So if thats an issue, you might want to use boot camp. Although NOT officially supported, there IS a way to create three partitions with boot camp and install linux in one, heres a link with a MacBook pro doing it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FYCzJ08512Y
However, I don't know how to do this, but a quick google search should give you results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Dont forget that parallels DOES NOT have video card support. So if thats an issue, you might want to use boot camp. .

Video card Shmideo card...pfft! :D It has video card support (especially if you use boot camp drivers) it's just the 3D stuff required by gaming that it won't do (yet).

I have gotten MSN video working on Parallels just fine with the iSight camera with the boot camp drivers and that's good enough for most.

Of course you are correct in that with most Linuxeseseses the video is kind of limited. On the Parallels support forum there's a guy who posted some complete images of Parallels complete with OS (Ubuntu is one of them; he supplies the VM image, you have to supply the Parallels) that have the video supporting 1280x800 resolution within the VM at least on the Macbook. I forget where it is but that is where I got my Ubuntu VM for messing with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.