This is what I plan on using my Macbook for, I'm wondering what you guys think?

Reaction score
Ok I'm probably getting the highest end normal mac book and upgrading to 2 gigs of ram. I plan on editing like youtube political videos and tv commerical type videos. I dont plan on doing any major movie kind of projects. Just home video and documentary type of things. I was thinking about getting final cut HD express. I'll probably also get the program Aperture because I like taking tons of pictures. Will this work for my set up, or would a mac book pro be the better choice? I'll be getting the student discount and it would still be $500+ more to get the lowest end mac book pro. Also, will the graphics card really play much a party in viewing my pictures and occasional HD movies? I really appreciate the input. I'm finally transferring to a school where I can get a media studies degree, and I am hoping the mac will suit well.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Going full media with heavy video editing for school projects? Get the Macbook Pro. You'll always find yourself using the extra capability. I've done some light video editing with my Macbook and I know now that if I had a MBP it would have been just that little bit faster/more capable even if it was able to accomplish it.

When it comes to video work where that's going to be what you'll primarily be doing the MBP is going to trump the Macbook every time.

Sure, the Macbook can do it, but the MBP will make it so you'll be able to do it with the fewest frustrations. Especially if you will be using a pro-type application such as Final Cut Pro. You don't want to find yourself wishing you got the pro version even if it's a physically larger computer.

For stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJpE-5dSZp4 a Macbook is fine. For stuff like producing/editing/mastering something for real content, you'll want the Macbook Pro or even a Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
LMAO @ the video.

Hey Welcome to the Forums first of all.

The MacBook is a pretty amazing, fast computer. But in the same time, like WalkerJ mentioned above, for heavy editing video/photo I'd recommend the MacBook Pro.

Plus I believe the Final Cut doesn't work well with the integrated video card as per the Apple Website and requires a Video Card, which u'd get with the MBP.

Here is the Link for system spec needed for Final Cut.

There are threads around with people running Final Cut on MacBooks but not to its full potential either.

Plus since u r going to school for Media Studies degree, then no doubt go for the MBP as u will probably expand ur editing capacity as u go deeper in ur school work, and the MBP will give u that ability.

Hope that helps.

And welcome to the Mac World :D :D

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, I don't really have 600+ dollars to spend on the Final Cut Pro 2 that just came out. I think the video editing classes use AVID or something of that nature. I acquired Sony's Vegas a while ago and I have some experience in video editing.

This laptop would basically be for the next 3 years of my life. If I would ever really get hardcore into video editing, (which I doubt because I don't want to sit behind a computer all day long) I'd get one of those really powerful mac desktops. All of the classes I will be taking, I will have access to the labs to edit etc everything I would need for class. I pretty much just want to be more or less the "multimedia guy" whenever I get out of school, and know how to make really good presentations, commercials, political ads etc. Anything I'd be making on my mac book would never be more than 5 minutes long. I'm getting more into pictures than video lately.

Also, I think I would just get the Final Cut Express for now. What do you guys think about that program? Is it similar to Sony's Vegas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I read somewhere in Apple support that it is best to upgrade to 2 GB RAM if you would do video editing. Graphics card ... my understanding is that it is primarily for video games and stuff ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
the macbook should be fine, as long as you get the 2gb and the 2.16GHz processor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.